What are your views on using North Star Metrics for Growth Teams?

Nuno Reis
12 replies
We are currently looking into this as we see quite a lot of problems in Growth teams aligning and driving cross functional and cross department collaboration that it fixes, and ?d love to know your views!

Replies

Luis Gustavo
The most common North Start Metric is the MRR, at least for Wild Mail (https://www.wildmail.io) was so helpful only be focused on this KPI.
Nuno Reis
@luisgustavo thank you for sharing! And how did you build your objectives from it?
Luis Gustavo
@nuno_ms_reis Basically, we needed to add specific amount of MRR per week. We had different types of action to achieve (cold outreach, partners channel, content, collaboration, so on) 🙂
Guillaume Sá
IMO it's essential to have a single North Star metric to monitor day on day or week on week. You should spend ample time trying to figure out your North Star metric. Following a generic North Star metric for the sake of it is a mistake many make. Additionally, as a growth & data nerd, I'd constantly monitor many metrics. I need to have a complete real-time view of the funnel.
Nuno Reis
@iamgdsa Completely agree, a single metric won't tell you anything, and most likely there are many metrics contributing to the North Star one :)
Alyne Padilla
The manner in which a company rolls out any type of performance monitoring to teams plays a huge part in the success or lack of from an employee commitment perspective. For example, if you go w/North Star consider an interactive workshop explaining the why and context behind the metric and whenever possible be transparent with the intent of monitoring.
Nuno Reis
@alynepadilla Thank you for your answer! I had not thought about that part even. North Star not just for team alignment but also for team retention and motivation? Or you'd say those are just outcomes of the alignment?
Using North Star Metrics for growth teams can help to align different teams and functions towards a shared objective and prioritize efforts accordingly. Still it is important to choose the right metrics that align with the business objectives and provide a clear view of progress.
Nuno Reis
@sandradjajic Have you used it in your companies? I'd be interested in knowing which ones you decided to use and why the choice :)
Also, make sure that the metrics are achievable, measurable, and actionable