What are you reading right now?

Scott Kosmach
20 replies
Besides this post ;) I'm currently reading "Founders at Work: Stories of Startups' Early Days" by Jessica Livingston. My 3 takeaways so far: - IQ is a less important factors than determination and perseverance. - Pivoting is normal in startups. It's not a sign of weakness, it's a sign of adaptability. - Startups are painful. Not everyone is cut out for the startup life, but for those who are, it can be an incredibly rewarding experience.

Replies

Madara
The Everyday Hero Manifesto by Robin Sharma. Good and practical advices with possibility to download worksheets as well.
Rich Watson
Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis- singer from Red Hot Chili Peppers. What a interesting, wild & exciting life this dood had when he was younger
Oscar Wehbe
Build by Toney Fadell. It has a bit of everything when it comes to the tech space. Managing people, developing and iterating product, navigating office politics, failing etc. Great read.
Karolina
I got back to classics of the genre :D I'm currently reading "How to make friends and influence others" by Dale Carnegie. It's good to read such books from time to time and remind yourself about some basic rules that actually work! For example, I tend to forget about power of smile. :) It's usually the best ice-breaker!
Scott Kosmach
@karolina3 😊 That's on my list to read. Are you reading it or audio book?
Karolina
@skosmach I got the book - and definitely can recommend getting one in this case! One of the rules that you need to stick before reading next chapters is to read each chapter twice :) therefore physical version might be better!
Scott Kosmach
@karolina3 Thank you for letting me know, I will be sure to purchase the physical book. I have a few "read each chapter twice before moving on" books. Breakthrough Advertising, a book from the 60s, is the bane of my existence that I read like that once a year and have only absorbed 20% of the dense information.
Gordana Laskovic
Currently, I’m reading ,,Fahrenheit 451” by American writer Ray Bradbury. πŸ‘ŒπŸΌ It’s a dystopian novel and presents a future American society where books are outlawed and "firemen" burn any that are found. πŸ”₯ I love it and would recommend it! πŸ˜„
Scott Kosmach
@siddhartha_dange I found the book good for motivation but lacking in practical advice. I'm curious, what brings you back to it and what are your takeaways? It's been many year maybe I should revisit it.
Phillip Stemann πŸš€ Planzer.io
The YouTube formula, it's awesome so far. Fun fact: YouTube started as a dating site(Kind of). πŸ˜…
Scott Kosmach
@phillipstemann That is a fun fact, googling it now. Reminds me of Plenty of Fish's story. It was a solo developer who wanted to learn .NET and created a simple contact management form online and the cat got out of the bag and people started using it to hookup. It soon became a dating site.
Arpan
Dan Brown's Inferno, and is a must-read for all mystery-thriller lovers!
Sherzod Khoshimov
I always used to read a lot of books on startups. However, now that I am working on a startup full-time, I mostly read non-fiction. It helps me to distract myself from all the work and shift my focus. Although it is helpful to learn about building a startup, it is also very important to let your mind relax and think about other things in life. This really helps me to prevent burnout)
Newberry Express Pharmacy
The Effective Executive by Peter Drucker! Throughout this book, Drucker shows how you can develop personal effectiveness. The idea behind the book is that in a world that is increasingly dependant on knowledge-based work, the more knowledge workers need to improve their effectiveness.
Siddarth Jain
I'm re-reading Lord of The Rings currently. Sometimes when it's already too exhausting in my day-to-day startup hustle, I feel books like these help me turn off and be fresh/creative again the next day :) Sometimes also get random analogies in my mind, connecting the startup with the book!