What are the things that first time founders typically get wrong?

Mubeen Masudi
20 replies

Replies

Utkarsh Gupta
Managing a small team is much harder than managing one where everyone understands their roles. First-time founders seldom give the team more importance than the idea they are working on. This causes a lot of friction in the pursuit of something great leading to conflicts and low success rates.
Max Zareei
@ug911 Dude, you just nailed it. This is exactly my problem now and no wonder why turning my idea into its MVP is taking longer than it should.
Swapnil D Puranik
Time and energy management.
Justin Bassett-Green
Comp & equity, especially for co-founders. It's an extremely awkward conversation and not an area where founders have a ton of experience. More often than not this means a scheme under which cofounders set fixed percentages without regard for any subsequent work. That work ends up feeling "unpaid" and can be a huge factor in burnout (or conflict).
Charlotte Chiang
Figuring out the money makers & the money drainers in your P&L
Mubeen Masudi
@charlotte_chiang1 Yeah I guess - there is an important nuance here. I have seen first time founders obsess a lot about product and far too less on the business. This is a critical polarity that has to be managed for a successful startup
Tomas Spada
building something nobody wants...
Andrew Moll
Saying Yes more than No
Mehdi Rifai
Getting obsessed about little details. They lack the ship first think later mentality
Salil Sethi
Not delegating enough. Building a successful company requires constantly executing on several categories - product building, market research, marketing, sales, accounting, payroll, etc. Within each category, there are several tasks (e.g., product building requires coding, designing, and gathering customer feedback) I have seen first-time founders take on too much and not execute as well as they can. Depending on the startup goals, it can be overwhelming.
Mubeen Masudi
@salil_sethi I agree on not delegating enough. While obsessing about the core aspects of your business/product early on is critical. As a first time founder myself I ended up wasting a lot of time in micromanaging mechanical stuff such as payrolls, accounting, compliances, etc. Could have easily been delegated and opened up by bandwidth for more critical/creative stuff.
ZHENG Haibo
For the average person starting a business, a specific problem with a specific action plan will be better than some high level market analysis or product strategy. In the beginning try to use common sense to answer questions rather than through research and analysis, which will save you a lot of time and help you reach users as soon as possible.
Hyunseok Lee
Decide of priority.