What are the most common problems people run into when attempting to build an online community?

Sneha Nair
25 replies

Replies

Kit Fach
I would say one that's not on here which is providing value. A lot of places build online communities just to have one. Or build one with a way to general purpose and then sit back and wait for users to provide value. Second I would also say is creating a community based on way too broad a topic. Content Marketing or SEO is way too broad, but SEO for laundromats or something like that is targeted enough that people could see how they could gain value from it. Online communities are a ton of work and you have to be really on top of moderation. Thousands of spam and useless/unhelpful posts are going to be posted every day so you have to really build strict processes for this. You also have to lead by example with providing value. Posting useful tips, jobs, connections, AMAs every day and then over time people will start contributing. The days of "build it and they will come" with social media is over. There is so much noise that to breakthrough will take something special if you're just trying to create new content. Now what can be incredibly useful is curation. The information is already out there online but people need help finding it. Going and finding useful resources from around the internet and putting them in one pace is a great way to create value and breakthrough the noise.
Rich Watson
the top and bottom selection are the top 2
Bob Ketterer
Difficult to acquire new members.
Divya
not adding like-minded people
Ildi Xhaholli
I just wanted to drop a link here that I think adds to the discussion. A few tips for building a community from the founder of https://dev.to https://the.community.club/ben/b...
Acquiring new members will always be the toughest challenge for new community. Is there a solution for this?
Adams Parker
Hard to access the right data.
Sophia Watt
Keeping users engaged.
Michal Matlon
Overcoming the chicken and egg problem for sure. We have a Discord for our new app, but it's still just ramping up. Sometimes, when a new user joins and sees there's no one active there, they leave right away. But some don't and stay, so it builds up over time.
Vali Lupoaie
Hello Sheha, i am also trying to build a community on discord, sharing all the info about our startup with the participants. Do you think it's a good idea?
Sushil Sharma
Acquiring new users and keeping them engaged are the most imp issues.
Alex Jin
I believe the most common problem is keeping users attraction and interest to the community.
Julie Chabin
One of the most significant issues you can run into when building a community is to do things only to attract new members. Communities require authenticity. That's what makes them different from brands /clients relationships. When building a community, you have to foster its uniqueness and focus on the value it brings to people within the community more than on how many people are part of it. Too often, communities die because we try to add more members by doing things that alienate the core community members or go against their values. You have more “users” but the community itself dies and becomes a service. Don't focus on adding members fast. Focus on adding the right people.
Simon
Deciding which platform to go with because changing later is hard...
navdeep dhakar
keeping users engaged is really difficult.
Chris Gulli
Keeping user engaged is definitely the most difficult part
Sharath Kuruganty
The biggest problem is people treat building a community as a growth machine. While community helps you grow but the intention should be pure and selfless. Bringing people together, create a sense of belonging and lastly being service-minded.
Ravi Sojitra
Don't know how to start.
Keeping users engaged.
Sushma Sharma
Mostly getting issue to get right data