What are the best and most obvious UI/ UX design tips you can give for a mobile app?

Shiva Uruturi
15 replies
A few things you must keep in mind while designing your app are: 1. A complete plan Before beginning the technical procedures of designing the app, make sure you have a clear and detailed plan of how different pages are linked together and how the user can navigate through them. 2. Colour Use a consistent color scheme across all pages; one that you would want to associate with your brand image. Using too many colors can make your app seem amateurish and crowded. This also applies to fonts. Remember, the motivation behind the UX/UI design shouldn’t be to dazzle the user, but to facilitate easy navigation on the app. 3. Thumb-friendliness When designing the app, try to keep in mind that when using a phone, there are certain areas of the screen that are better access to the user’s thumb. If you design your app to optimize thumb-friendliness, it can turn out to be hassle-free and easy to use. You also need to keep in mind that different users will be using the app through phones of different sizes. What seems like well-spaced-out buttons on a large screen, might seem extremely clustered on a smaller phone. 4. Display and Navigation In the aim to make it easy for users to navigate the app easily, many designers lose out on the effectiveness of the display. You need to find a balance between having all facilities and services displayed on the main page, and having a UI design that requires a lot of navigation. 5. 3-Tap Rule This is a rule many mobile apps follow. The main idea behind it is that any user should be able to purchase a product on service using only 3 taps inside the app. This forces you as a designer to keep the app design minimal and avoid unnecessary complications in the backend. 6. Different UX for different platforms If you are designing an app for a website you already have, or want to make an app and a website for your store, it is important to consider that different user interfaces are needed for different platforms. Navigation, Accessibility, and User Experience can vary largely across platforms. Cmt your tips

Replies

Yasin Zähringer
Nice! One thing I like to add because it makes me angry when I encounter it: a one step interaction should be reversible with one step. Especially with smartphones it's easy to accidentally invoke an action, and if you loose your progress because of that it makes me irrationality angry.
Satish Kumar Veluri
Thanks for sharing your insight, Excellent writeup👍
Pooja Lahoti
This is really helpful, thanks for sharing @shiva_urururi.
Luke
Thanks, Shiva! helpful tips. Get second-hand devices as cheaply as possible and use them for prototyping (via Figma's mirroring tool) – very helpful to see the UI on different screens and interact with them directly.
Jonathan Nass
Thumb friendliness is huge! We made a conscious effort to do this in our new design by placing the nav menu at the bottom of the screen — it seems like more sites apps are doing this these days. I'd also say keeping as much content above the fold (meaning you don't have to scroll to reveal it) is key. Too much scrolling is distracting and reduces conversion rates.
Richard Gao
Another one is ad placement! If your apps have ads, please do no place them in a location where it is easier to click on them by accident. It might generate more click revenue for you but it greatly lowers the user experience!
Appstudio
There are a few obvious tips that any mobile app user should keep in mind when designing their UI/ UX. First and foremost, make sure your app is easy to use and navigate. Keep things simple and streamlined, making it as easy as possible for users to get what they need without feeling overwhelmed. Make sure all buttons and controls are easily visible and within reach, and avoid using too many pop-ups or other distractions. Another important factor to keep in mind is the tone of voice you use when communicating with your users. Be friendly and approachable, but also keep in mind that your app should be professional enough for users to feel confident in using it. Make sure all text is legible at a glance, and don’t overload users with excessive details or superfluous information. Finally, ensure that your app looks good on all devices—from phones to tablets to laptops—and makes the most of the available screen space. Visit : https://www.appstudio.ca/ui-ux-d...
Lily Morelock
Thanks for sharing👌👌👌☺
Joe Shaw
Thanks for sharing🤟
Shamika Shirke
1. Keep It Simple: Simple design is essential for a successful mobile app. Try to keep your design simple and easy to understand. Avoid unnecessary features and focus on the core functionality. 2. Use Visual Hierarchy: A good visual hierarchy will help users quickly understand the layout of the app, and where to look for the important elements. 3. Optimize for Touch: Design for touch instead of mouse clicks. Make sure buttons and links are large enough for a thumb to press, and design for swiping and scrolling. 4. Consider Context: Understand the context in which users are using your app, and design accordingly. Consider how users will be using the app, and design a user experience that fits their needs. 5. Test and Iterate: Test your app with users and iterate on the design based on the feedback. Make sure the design works across different devices and platforms.
Ezel Yalçın
You can find more tips and information about UI/UX design on Designer.tips, along with a variety of other resources and best practices for design work. Designer.tips is a website or platform that offers a variety of resources for designers, such as tips, tools, introductions to new techniques, and best practices for design work. It aims to help designers improve their skills and stay up-to-date with the latest trends and technologies in the field.
Claus
Hey Shiva Uruturi, Solid tips, man! I've been down the mobile app design road, and your points hit the bullseye. Planning is king – a roadmap before diving into the nitty-gritty keeps you sane. I once skipped that, ended up in a UI maze. Color-wise, less is more. It's about vibe, not a Crayola box explosion. Thumb-friendly design is legit. Phones are thumb playgrounds; don't make users do finger gymnastics. I've had my share of 'cluster-buster' designs on smaller screens – not a pretty sight. Your 3-tap rule is gold. Streamlining actions keeps users from tapping out. My first app had more taps than a dance routine; users vanished quicker than my morning coffee. And yep, cross-platform vibes. What's smooth on the web can be chaos on mobile. Tailor the experience; it's like serving a burger differently in a restaurant and a food truck. By the way, I recently came across this insightful article on banking app design that aligns well with your principles: "Banking App Design: Unveiling the Best User Experience Trends Today" It delves into some of the latest trends shaping user experiences in the banking app domain. Great stuff, Shiva. Happy designing!