What are some of the key metrics that early-stage startups should focus on, and why?

Kyle Tummonds
10 replies
As I am building out my own solution and looking at metrics, I'd like to know what kind of metrics (especially if you are a SaaS) you are looking at.

Replies

Charlie Guo
An incomplete list: - Churn rate - LTV (Lifetime value) - CAC (Customer acquisition cost) - Customer engagement - NPS (Net promoter score) - MRR (Monthly recurring revenue)
John Koo
@charlierguo how do you measure customer engagement?
Kyle Tummonds
@charlierguo @imjohnkoo I've heard of a customer engagement score before. I'd like to know how you measure this as well @charlierguo
Charlie Guo
@imjohnkoo @kyle_tummonds It depends on your product, but you can come up with a list of qualities that your longest/happiest users have in common . Do they log into the service every day? Do they reach usage milestones within a certain period of time? Most big software companies measure DAUs/MAUs (Daily Active Users/Monthly Active Users) for example.
John Koo
@charlierguo thanks alot. The topic has crossed my mind a couple of times, but I didn't really come up with anything. It's a little clearer now. Thank you!
Amal Abdullaev
As an experienced startup founder, I have worked with many early-stage startups and have seen firsthand what metrics are most important for their success. I have also invested in numerous startups and have helped them grow their businesses by focusing on these key metrics. I believe that tracking these metrics is essential for early-stage startups because they help to measure progress and identify areas for improvement. By monitoring metrics such as CAC, LTV, MRR, and churn rate, startups can make data-driven decisions and adjust their strategies accordingly to drive growth and increase revenue. In addition to my personal experience, there are also numerous industry resources and case studies that support the importance of tracking these metrics for early-stage startups. Overall, I believe that focusing on these key metrics is crucial for the success of any early-stage startup, and I am confident in my ability to provide helpful and informative advice on this topic.
Kyle Tummonds
@amal_abdullaev Thanks for sharing! You mentioned that you've invested in early-stage startups, I'm wondering, is there a minimum MRR that a company would need in order for you to consider investing?
Saul Fleischman
* CAC per product * LTV per customer * LTV per product * Not only MRR, but also a month-on-month for one-off products (e.g. reports or other products not bought on a subscription basis), and stats on the change in this value mon-on month; Profitwell does not do this. Would be great to also annotate analytics dashboards with notes on what we did and when, to see what effects came of these changes. Profitwell does not do this, BareMetrics does.
Kyle Tummonds
@osakasaul thanks for your knowledge. I think I'm starting to see some patterns here from the other comments. Great suggestion as well on BareMetrics!