What are peoples thoughts on ai / LLMs doing math??

Clay Raterman
4 replies
Hey everyone! I'm working on a financial tracking tool called Fina (https://fina.xyz) - we plan on launching here on PH at the end of May. We are building some interesting use-cases for using ai to ask plain English questions about your (live) cleaned personal financial data. One of the core things we're doing is pairing semantic queries to our data computation engine to provide actual math-based answers so there's no hallucination from the LLM. We see this as fundamental because math needs 100% precision. It's slower to build because it requires us to create the tracking scenarios first, but it lets us ensure accuracy. I was curious about GPT-4...it seems to still be very bad at math, but seems to have somewhat improved on it since GPT-3.5. Does anyone think eventually it will be able to handle math well or do people unanimously agree that the LLMs will always need to pair to some computation engine for the math side to ensure accuracy? Just want to hear how others are thinking about this? (I know wolfram alpha made a plugin for chatGPT which is an interesting use case as well).

Replies

Debin Alsa
Math courses are designed to develop critical thinking and problem-solving abilities. By learning different mathematical concepts and techniques, you can improve your analytical skills and apply them to various real-life situations with takemymathclasspro.
André J
Launching soon!
We will soon find out. There are lots of math problems that can net you a lot of money if solved.