What advice would you give someone who is just starting out their career?

Gizem Nur Keskin
28 replies

Replies

Alina Dyabina
Don't have children too early.) Build yourself first))
HyunGun Jung
@alina_dyabina Wow, that's actually a very important advice, Alina. Glad I met you early enough 😃 I would like to add, don't get married too early. Instead, consider moving in together and take your time bonding your families when both of you are ready to handle the changes.
Estelle Mostowski
@alina_dyabina @jack_jung I agree on the build yourself first but these are very personal choices and should not be defined as obstacles for a person just starting their career. With a bit of planning and organisation, everything is possible. :-)
Nuno Reis
I would say try new things! If you are starting there is a low probability that you know what you really like and that you know how to do it. So feel free to experiment and FAIL. Find places to work that foster that environment and be sure to not be demotivated by people telling you that you need to have everything figured out. Most people never get everything figured out. Always learn and be curious ;)
Gizem Nur Keskin
@nuno_ms_reis I most definitely don't have everything figured out! 😅 Thank you for your advice, Nuno!
Neha Khan
Beleive in your self, things might not look perfect in start but it would take time to get right. once it's there you would be amaze to see the results
HyunGun Jung
1/ Try new things and focus on finding what works for you. 2/ Remember to focus on yourself and not to compare yourself to others. 3/ Instead of solely focusing on short-term goals, aim for long-term ones. "People overestimate what they can do in a day and underestimate what they can do in a year." - Tony Robbins
Vladimir Malyavko
Follow and listen to smart people
Varun Patel
Stay focused on your idea. Be confident and patience is the key!
Shachar Keidar
This tip sounds like a bit cliché, but be open to new opportunities. Sometimes we can see an opportunity that doesn't look fit in the first place, but when you think about it, you can learn and grow from it.
Gizem Nur Keskin
@shachar_keidar It may be a cliché but we totally need to remind ourselves to be open to new adventures and opportunities! Thank you, Shachar!
Andreas Møller
It is ok if you feel like you don't know what you are doing. Everybody feels that. The best people I have worked with are open about that. Just make sure "I don't know" is the start of a conversation, and not the end.
Gizem Nur Keskin
@andreas_toddle I feel that on a daily basis! But you're right, I need to keep going! Thank you, Andreas!
Andreas Møller
@gizemnurkeskin we all do :) I have been building software for close to 20 years and I still feel like I dont know what I am doing a lot of the time :) Keep at it. also: https://xkcd.com/1053/
Rishabh R
Don't settle, explore. - Use your 20-30's to explore and find what you actually love. - Then use your 30-40's to settle into it. - See your career with multiple 10 year long plan and a dozen of 1 year short plan. - Then find what you love, and don't chase any trend, because by the time your reach their new trends will emerge. - Focus on principles than on methods
Peyt Spencer Dewar
Look for opportunities to be mentored and to be a mentor