We might not like AI generating our comments, but what's your thought about AI generated email?

John Koo
27 replies
The recent discussion about AI-generated comments by @kylefrost was really interesting. Some people are concerned that bots will take over online communities and there won't be enough authentic human interaction but instead auto-generated empty conversations between AI and bots. AI technology is impacting a lot of areas, such as creating images, blog posts, webpages, copywriting, and etc. Several features have been very well received and are widely accepted. What are your thoughts on auto-generated emails? Would you say AI can improve the efficiency and value of email communication?

Replies

Denis Anisimov
If we are talking about a human-in-the-loop emails, like AI helping a person craft and reply to emails, then I think it's all fine and just makes the email more pleasant to use. If we are talking about the automated mailing, then the first few movers will sow the benefits, but as the tech becomes mainstream it will be just noise. The human on the other end will adapt to pay even less attention, and the bots on the other end will become even better at marking things as spam or unimportant.
Charlotte Chiang
@dbanisimov Good point! I hadn't considered the use case for automated (mass) e-mails - haven't yet gotten around to trying any of the tools in the space. Yep, AI for marketing instruments generally will make it more challenging to cut through the noise. Something good to chew on as these tools proliferate.
Jonayed Tanjim
we launched an email reply generator tool HarvyAI yesterday. You can check it out. https://www.producthunt.com/post...
Ashrey Ignise R
I definitely belive in the increased efficiency that AI can provide in communities and emails, but there will undoubtedly people that abuse its power and replace their entire self with the bot - which will make evaluating genuine connections much harder. However, I think people too will adapt and be able to tell the difference between a conversation with a unique individual and that with an AI. (but maybe not?)
Kulsoom Awan
AI-generated emails sound good to me, iy may add value and saves time for people who are not really good at writing.
Jocelyn To
If AI acts as an assistant to craft and polish the email, it's great to improve productivity and quality. But if it's for auto-reply, NO. Keeping human in the loop is vital for me.
Charlotte Chiang
For me, AI in (work) e-mails are a lifesaver. Compared with comments in a community, e-mails are generally transactional in nature, so there is a cost to errors in communication. If I mess something up, whether grammar, dates, attachments or whatnot - it increases the cost of the transaction. I should try to minimise this cost to increase what I can get done in a day; AI (starting with Gmail back in the day) has helped me enormously.
Mirena Vasileva
As long as my email doesn't sound robotic and it saves me time writing it when I only need to feed it a couple of prompts - I am down!
Mehdi Rifai
Every great innovation available to the public will lead to its drifts and new technologies to police them will emerge. @jus10mcgill just launched an AI detector recently on PH is just an example of that. What is sure though is that we are right on that grey area where the use AI is not controlled and some people will make huge advantage of it. Using AI on communities indeed defies the purpose of communities that are based on human interactions. But regarding email, if we are talking about sales emails, we already use email automation to send generic emails and some of the things you get on your inbox are just horrendous. Adding some AI won't hurt I think. Copy.ai is doing a fine job in that regards btw.
Madeleine Nichols
AI generated email could be a real time-saver - particularly if it takes out some of the typing time in crafting responses which can be quite the time-suck Came across https://www.flowrite.com/ The idea of replying in the style of a text message, and then having the AI write it out in full for sending, somewhat similar to having an assistant manage some of the comms, seems like a good use for efficiency
David Cagigas
I think anything AI generated needs to be improved. It needs to be added with some emotional appeal.
Richard Gao
I don't mind it at all. As long as I get a relevant email, I don't care
Hossein Yazdi
In my opinion, in both cases, there is no issue in using Ai-generated replies as long as the person who is using checks and evaluates the output so as to match his own thoughts, expressions, and in general his own desired reply.
Albert Costello
The Ted Lasso Sudeikis Premiere Tracksuit is the ideal option for anyone looking to upgrade their wardrobe with a touch of style. This jacket's stylish and one-of-a-kind style really distinguishes us from the crowd.
John Koo
@albert_costello hmm is this an example of ai-generated replies? lol
Andrew James Bagby
The way most spam is structured, it could've been generated by an ai regardless. What an AI can help with really is determining who in that email list is actually the most likely to read it
Abhishek Jha
For firms and individuals who frequently need to send a lot of emails, I think AI-generated auto-generated emails can be quite helpful. By automatically creating responses, offering pertinent information or personalised details, and automating tedious chores, AI can assist increase the effectiveness and speed of email conversation. Overall, I think AI may significantly increase the effectiveness and value of email communication by automating repetitive processes, offering personalised information, and making sure that essential communications are prioritised and dealt with as soon as possible.
Rish
AI emails makes sense. You have to be in the loop to make it more personal but aside from main points (and also the main points with a little help), AI can fill in the fluff.
Isaiah Trotter
Burn the people who make AI generated email (:
Heleana Grace
I can definitely see AI improving the efficiency of e-mails. For one, it can help you save a lot of time. We've all been there where we had to answer a long or uncomfortable e-mail and didn't know how to start, so an AI tool can really help you be done with it quicker. I don't think it will affect human interaction that much. The way I see it, you still need to edit that auto-generated e-mail and double-check the spelling and grammar. You still want to add words or information that sound like "you" and not a robot. As long as you know which parts you can leave to AI and which parts you should take over, everything should be fine.
Fidel Avendano
I believe that AI-generated emails have the potential to be valuable, particularly for those who may struggle with writing or are short on time. It seems like a useful way to save time and improve communication efficiency.
Kim HM
AI tools are a double-edged sword. My boss thinks that everyone's work efficiency should improve from now on, and AI has indeed helped me a lot. However, what comes with it is twice the workload...
John Koo
@kim_meng Quite interesting. What's the reason your workload went up when you used AI?
Kim HM
@imjohnkoo My boss thinks that with the use of AI tools, productivity has increased and everyone has more free time, so one person can do the work of multiple people...