Twitter turns to X.com. What do you think?

Cem Özçelik
78 replies

Replies

Ahmet Kara
This reminded me of Google buying it just for Motorola's patent rights. (Most analysts believed Google simply wanted Motorola's 17,000 technology patents. Owning them would help Google defend its Android operating system from infringement attacks. Google executives acknowledged patents played a role in the original Motorola deal. https://time.com/2650/motorola -is-a-gargantuan-mistake-only-google-could-afford-to-make/ ) I think Elon Musk will build x.com very differently. I think this is more of a project than a social media project. We need to understand that 40 billion dollars is already thrown away for such a project. It will probably be a user-friendly project with a complex in the background but a simple interface in the foreground, covering all e-commerce, social media and news sites.
Elena Tsemirava
This is an interesting blast from the past. X.com was Elon's original startup before it merged with Confinity and became PayPal in 2000. Musk bought back the X.com domain name from PayPal a few years ago. So now Twitter is potentially looking to use it as their new domain name under Musk's ownership. I am curious if this is just a temporary step, or if Twitter will fully rebrand under X.com. The name doesn't seem like a great fit for Twitter long-term. But it does signal Musk's desire to put his own stamp on Twitter after acquiring it. X.com has personal history for him. Practically, it may cause some temporary disruption if links, apps, etc need to switch from twitter.com to x.com. For users, it will take some time to get used to typing x.com out of habit instead of twitter.com if it becomes permanent. Overall, it's an unusual move that highlights E's unconventional approach. It will be interesting to see if X.com is just the start of bigger changes to Twitter under his leadership. The platform's identity could evolve quite a bit.
Simon
@elenat I am not sure he's putting his stamp on it, more like stamping his boot on it.
Frank Nguyen | Afforai
@elenat this is actually leading somewhere. Given how Elon is into the defi and blockchain industry as well. It’s his plan probably to run Twitter as an app with super features, not only just socializing but also buy and sell with wallets connected to it. The old x turned into an app to mobilize money transferring. I guess the new X.com is aiming to a more complex idea. App that we could do all thing, including trades, buy and sell all in one app.
Cemali Gencer
I think a super app story is beginning. Goodbye, birds.
Chris Redfield
If Twitter were to turn to a domain like "X.com," it could be a significant move for the company. The choice of the domain could carry various implications, such as indicating a rebranding effort, adopting a new approach, or expanding into different markets or services. https://schoenhalde.de/tierkrema...
Kim HM
I'm going to miss that bird. 😔
Tanay from Stacks
I think Twitter now has a lot of baggage and an identity crisis. Twitter = tweets, it doesn't allow the platform to grow more into spaces, podcasts, images, videos, ads, etc. which look to be the way Twitter is moving towards becoming a more social place.
Kevin Lu
@tanaylakhani Agreed! nice point! btw, followed your product! God Speed!
AbdulHafeez Sadon
@tanaylakhani Yup, it's strategic move by Elon and his team. Seems like he want to build more inclusive power app like WeChat in China.
Tanay from Stacks
@hafeezcae I like that he is thinking outside the box - like why would you not include payments? If you support payments and have a good payment gateway, why not allow peer-to-peer payments? Why not allow better communication among twitter/X users?
AbdulHafeez Sadon
@tanaylakhani yup, that's why I smell from miles away. He's a capitalist through and through. He proved his tenacity after coming back from nervous breakdown after his own mentors and persons he looked up to turned their back against him in the early Tesla days.
Dimitrios Konstantinidis
This is the equivalent of Elon's middle-life crisis.
Chris Sarca
I don't mind, I hope it will get better and better.
Daniel Thompson
I think Twitter's shift to X-Com is a daring move that could revolutionize social media interactions, creating an interactive platform that combines real-time communication with strategic gameplay, which could foster a unique sense of community and user engagement!
More important issues to sort for me!
LingLingFa.Gavin
I think that is a really expensive domain........
Cyril Gupta
I think this wasn't required. Elon could have grown X from scratch for far less than $40 Billion
Simon
One of the world's most recognized social brands ever, killed. Don't make no sense.
Cem Özçelik
@simon_s_j I agree it's risky but it's too soon to say it killed
Konok Nazmul
I think Twitter turning to X.com is a bold and risky move. While it may hold personal significance for Elon Musk, it doesn't seem like a great fit for Twitter's long-term brand identity. It could cause confusion and disruption for users having to switch from twitter.com to x.com. Only time will tell if this change is just the beginning of bigger changes to Twitter under Musk's leadership.
Elon ❤️ his X's. He's onboard with the trend, creating a campaign that revolves around himself. 😄🚀
Nishi Bhavsar
I think it is just another move from Elon Musk to highlight Twitter(X.com) again while its competition Threads from Meta is live.
Dan from Avarup
🤦 What a great way to burn through $40B
Igor Lysenko
He had to be the same to the last. But when there are rows of any changes, we subconsciously condemn this and exclude the use in another way.
Nick Anisimov
Twitter has a very valuable brand and a large following. This is likely some kind of personal decision by Elon, more like nostalgia for the good old days.