there's huge value in learning from different disciplines when developing products:

Shajedul Karim
8 replies
it's easy to get locked into our own fields, but stepping outside can offer fresh perspectives. whether it’s design principles from art, efficiency from engineering, or storytelling from literature, these insights can enrich our approach to product development. blending ideas from various fields can lead to more innovative, well-rounded products. it's about seeing beyond the usual scope of our work. i’ve seen some products here that clearly benefited from such cross-discipline inspiration. it’s a reminder that innovation often happens at the intersection of different ideas. how do you incorporate learning from other disciplines into your product development? have you ever had a breakthrough moment where an idea from a completely different field made a big difference in your work? it’s like connecting the dots in new ways to create something unique. keen to hear your stories or thoughts on how crossing into other fields has shaped your products. let's share and learn from each other's diverse experiences and knowledge

Replies

Barry Zheng
This is a vital point! Integrating principles from varied disciplines can indeed lead to unique, innovative products. For me, studying behavioral psychology has significantly influenced how I approach user experience design. It's all about understanding user behaviors and motivations. What's one unexpected discipline that has influenced your product development approach?
Ruslan.D
yes plus one more knowledge field = X3 to product :) i often got inspirations from seeing different/random youtube podcasts
Fabian Maume
It definitely helps. If you want some inspiration I recommend you to check out ASIT and TRIZ methodology: https://is.muni.cz/th/426897/esf_m/
Absolutely, cross-disciplinary learning is a cornerstone in product development. Drawing insights from diverse fields not only broadens our perspective but also cultivates innovative thinking. It's the intersection of varied disciplines that often sparks groundbreaking ideas and solutions
Aristo Coutinho
Cross-disciplinary learning is essential for product development because it exposes teams to diverse perspectives and approaches. By incorporating insights from fields like psychology, sociology, and design, product teams can create solutions that not only solve technical problems but also resonate with users and address their needs holistically. This holistic approach leads to more innovative and successful products.
Oliver Thomes
Learning from different disciplines helps product teams break out of their comfort zones and challenge assumptions. By incorporating new perspectives, teams can identify creative solutions that go beyond traditional approaches. This can lead to breakthrough innovation and a competitive edge in the market.
Andre Yang
Cross-disciplinary learning fosters a more collaborative and inclusive environment in product development teams. When team members come from different backgrounds, they bring a wealth of experiences and insights to the table. This diversity of thought leads to more open communication, better problem-solving, and a more dynamic team environment.
Brandon Linn
In a world that is increasingly interconnected, product teams need to be aware of the broader context in which their products exist. By learning from disciplines like economics, politics, and culture, teams can develop products that are more socially responsible, environmentally friendly, and ethically sound. This is essential for building trust with users and creating long-term value.