The sad thing about Product Hunt...

Matej Cabadaj
29 replies
I find it very sad how some people, when they need support for their launch, send you numerous messages and even promise to support your launch in the future. But then, when your time comes and you ask them for support, they completely ignore your message. I do not want to sound like a cry baby. But I just wonder why promising something, you can't fulfill? Especially here on PH, where we are like a one big family. That being said, this is definitely not the majority of people here. I want to thank ALL of you, who support others and do not just think about themselves and their products. You make this community a real family! ❤️

Replies

Nicky Hajal
Ultimately it is their loss as success in business takes much more than a single successful launch and nurturing long term relationships is essential.
Matej Cabadaj
How do you feel about this? 🤔
Anastasia Liamets
@matej_cabadaj that’s frustrating! Will be able to share more after we launch our coming soon page — but just keep going and prepare a really cool launch, and everything will be great! Would love to support you
Simona O'Neill
How confident are you that those people are actual people? I already found out that some of those people who reached out to me via LinkedIn looking for support no longer exist 🙄I mean their fake LinkedIn profile is gone. So needless to say they will not be returning a favour. And we haven’t even launched yet. Some people only use it to get to you and then never come back to LinkedIn or PH. That’s why I stopped accepting requests from people who are not my 1st connection and also check and double check their accounts and engagement.
Matej Cabadaj
@simona_o_neill3 hmm I see! 🤔 well thats new to me!😅 for me, the people were actually launching something, there was a launch I went to and supported😅 I guess some people just give up on PH after launch?🤔
Anastasia Liamets
@simona_o_neill3 so true, had the same situation — people just aggressively ask to vote and disappear after
Ghulam Abbas
It's disheartening to see some people not follow through on their promises of support. I'm grateful for those who genuinely support others and contribute to making this community feel like a true family! ❤️
Elena Tsemirava
You're right. But unfortunately, it's not a problem specific to PH, it's a universal human issue.
Matej Cabadaj
@elenat well said 😅😅 but..I still want to believe that the majority is not like that (maybe too naive?😂)
hardik bandhiya
hey matej, I'm not sure if I would be of a great help to you but let me know when you launch. I'm supporting fellow PH community members.
Kellie O Hara
Unfortunately it's a flaw in human nature to sometimes be one-way-transactional. Often, the person is soo desperate to win at all costs, focused only on vanity metrics (IE upvotes, follows etc...) instead of building rapport and genuine connections/relationship building. Those are usually inexperienced builders. What they do not realise is that only 5% of startups win in the long run. One of the main reasons is because they focus on short term vanity wins instead of longterm retention of true supporters/users/customers. It's not about the sale, its about genuine retention (community/builders/users/customers). When you have real true supporters of you (the person) and a love for your product/service you will grow much faster and longer. The best part of being a founder is building together and genuinely supporting to see each other win with integrity, which also translates as belief in what they are addressing for their customers! When we truly believe in the founder, team, product/service, and values/mission, we have no problem sharing that with the world and the potential of bringing them their ICP's authentically/organically. Everyone wins this way. There are true gems out there, focus on those and don't let the one-way-transactional ruin your beautiful entrepreneurial journey :D Always open to supporting the REAL entrepreneurs - looking forward to your launch!
Marvin Mändle
Just believe in the good. There are always people who don't show up, when it counts, but there are also a lot of people who support you. That it was a real community is about!
Anastasia Liamets
Sometimes people are offline spending time with family, celebrating things — so this I totally understand. Would be nice to estimate %, not everyone will vote for you unfortunately. But also had so many bots recently, this is crazy and waisting my time to review each of them.
Matej Cabadaj
@anliamets definitely agree! I mean, I am launching 19th Feb.. As of now, I was just asking people who asked me for support for their launch, to “get notified” on the coming soon page. Currently, we are maybe talking 10% of people replied, others not (perhaps yet?😅). I agree with the bots..that I see as one of the biggest problems of PH in the moment😬
Janet Ashforth
I'm ready to support your launch! I've been supporting as many launches as possible. We'll see if I have the same experience as you when I launch:)
Matej Cabadaj
@janet_ashforth Thank you so much, Janet! ☺️ you can find the launching soon page here to stay notified on the launch day: https://t.ly/RLTcw 😊
Matt Eddy
I'm new here but seems like many founders are probably heads down working on their projects. I agree it would feel weird to not have support reciprocated. Makes the whole connection seem fake.
Sudheer Yerra
It's just how it is. It's up to an individual how one chooses to be. We cannot force it upon anyone. But yes, it'd be nice if people could stand up to their word.
Daniel Burns
I can just imagine your frustration and I am sorry that that happened to you. Unfortunately, fake promises are not only tied to PH community, but are a part of the human behaviour. Do not lose your hope though, not everyone is like this!
Amine Aouragh
The saddest thing about ProductHunt is that even if you get more upvotes and comments than some products, if ProductHunt want to put your product behind those, they can do it. ProductHunt is so random when it comes to its leaderboard.
Artem Shar
"Dunbar's number" and, I think for many, PH / LinkedIn contact profiles don't even make it into the 250 that can be remembered unless there was enough personal communication. Also, different periods of activity in professional social networks (I mean, sometimes people very active, sometimes not). I think it's really difficult to gain people's attention in these over-information times. And if this attention is really high-quality, then it is worth a lot. But I agree that if you take something from a community, then you need to give back and support it. Sometimes it is very easy, sometimes it is difficult and there is not enough time.