Strategies to foster accountability and ownership in teams?

Naime Yel
3 replies

Replies

Nick Basile
I always feel like this is simple in theory and hard in practice 😅 What's work well for me is setting really clear goals that we want to achieve as a team, like reach x number of users by y date. Then, I'll work with the team to figure out how we're going to make that happen. Sometimes, they'll come up with a great idea that we all align around and other times I'll provide more structure around the direction. But, regardless of where the ideas come from, just having the team involved in the decision-making process helps them feel more ownership over our direction and feel more accountable for the results. If you want to get really fancy, it helps to align your incentives with the goals you want to achieve. For example, if we reach x number of users by y date then everyone gets a bonus of z. It's amazing how far the team will go when they can share in the upside. One word of caution, don't ask for everyone's ideas on the direction and then totally ignore them. This is one of the fastest ways I've seen to demoralize a team. Of course, you won't be able to do everything the team comes up with, but you should recognize their efforts, explain why we're not doing what they recommend, and why we're prioritizing these other activities.
Hina Shehzad
Creating a culture of accountability and ownership within teams is essential for driving success. Some strategies to achieve this include setting clear expectations, empowering team members with autonomy, regular check-ins for progress updates, open communication channels, acknowledging achievements, and emphasizing the collective impact of individual efforts. When everyone feels responsible for their contributions, collaboration flourishes, and teams achieve remarkable results.
Naime Yel
Launching soon!
@hina_shehzad Thank you for sharing your insights on creating a culture of accountability and ownership within teams. Your points about setting clear expectations, empowering team members, and fostering open communication really resonate with our goals here at Commented. As the Human Resources Manager, I wholeheartedly believe that building such a culture is key to our overall success.