Should you require a credit card for a free trial?

Iuliia Shnai
23 replies
I was analyzing lately different user experiences which includes credit card submission and interested to hear your opinion.

Replies

Denise Bingam
I hate this, I feel like is such a conversion killer....
Chris Horne
I would suggest requiring feedback/review as a way to extend your trial vs a credit card. No credit card up front, but after a few days have something that's like "Want to extend your free trial? Answer these three questions" or something..
Iuliia Shnai
@vlchris that is very creative idea. I saw in some software they require card but than allow to extend It by different actions in the tool. I want to implement your idea:)
Depends. for b2c no, b2b might be yes
Jason Andries
No, I usually don't even bother trying the software if the free trial requires a credit card. I think if you genuinely want to make people try your product for free, it shouldn't be hidden behind a credit card wall. Requiring one often makes me feel like the company just tries to pull you into a paid subscription because you'll forget to cancel your trial in time and then you're stuck. If people like the product and are happy with it, they'll extend their membership and become paying customers either way.
Iuliia Shnai
@jason_andries1 good points. And I feel that it also works. I know myself when I forget to cancel and continue paying. This is awful.
No. it scares customers away.
Iuliia Shnai
@inesfenner good point. Do you think it scares all customers?
@iuliia_shnai I wouldn't say it scares them all away, we cant generalize but for me as a customer, it is quite scary
Sarvam Fating
Personally, I don't think someone should submit their credit card details for a free trial. I feel its a bit risky.
Iuliia Shnai
@sarvam why you think it is risky?
Chris Horne
@sarvam @iuliia_shnai generally it's those traps that say "If you don't cancel then you get charged" and people use it for a day, move on, and forget to cancel. It's just a hassle.
Iuliia Shnai
@ksenia_khriptovich Why in B2C not but in B2B maybe?
Chris Horne
@ksenia_khriptovich @iuliia_shnai Depends on the business. Most businesses are even less likely to put in a credit card for a trial, because they have to get approval to get the card, etc. I feel like if you ask for a CC up front then it just adds another barrier to entry that people just don't want to fool with.
Oxana
usually asking for credit card stop users from registering, they are not aware yet if they really need the product, but must to add payment info In my experience, we even removed registration step to let users "try" and it brings great results!
Fran Gamez
Provide credit card could be an stopper... so, in my opinion, no.
Nilan Saha
Probably not if you have other ways of making sure people are not creating accounts again and again to get new trials. You can't charge it so whats the point in taking that info.
Mark Lense
Usually, some programs may have temporary test access to the program so that the user can understand whether he needs to buy this software or is it better to subscribe. When a person enters his card details, he is somehow reserved and before the end of the test period he can untie the card if the application does not suit him. I recently came across a similar case when I read reviews on https://milestone-mastercard.pissedconsumer.com/review.html where a person had a similar situation and did not understand at what point the money would start to be withdrawn and whether it was safe.