Should I proceed with my development or pursue a different direction?

Saihhold Zhao
10 replies
Every time a new idea comes to mind, I begin conducting market research, only to discover that there are already numerous strong competitors present. Should I proceed with my development or pursue a different direction? Something interesting occurred to me. I was in the process of developing a copywriting optimization software and outlining my plan on Notion, when I realized that Notion already possesses those functionalities.

Replies

Alex Jones
Also, remember that competition isn't necessarily a bad thing. It shows that there's demand for such products, and it gives you an opportunity to identify what sets your software apart. Focus on your strengths, build a solid marketing strategy, and create a unique value proposition. People love innovation and creative solutions, so don't be afraid to think outside the box.
Louise Rivera
It ultimately depends on your individual circumstances, goals, and priorities, so carefully evaluate the potential benefits and risks before making a decision to either continue with your current development or explore an alternative direction.
Talk to the market first. The reality today is that we have hundreds of similar products launching almost every day. So, it's almost impossible to build something really unique and the best way to make the startup successful is to find your market - people/companies, who will need your solution and will be ready to pay for it.
Saihhold Zhao
@serhii_uspenskyi Thanks for replying. It's true that creating something unique is not always possible. However, I'm thinking about what would make people pay for my software, considering the presence of strong competitors. For example, what motivates people to pay for Copy.ai, even when Writesonic already existed? I believe there isn't a significant difference between them.
@saihhold_zhao to know these you need to talk to potential customers, as your vision could be different from what really people want or are ready to pay. This is one the biggest startup challenges)
RDS
Don’t wanna write 250 words story. Just find something that they don’t have or lack behind than your product. Do some marketing and launch your product. Have no fear.
Christophe Trausen
You should stay focused on your idea, avoid getting distracted by others.
Trevor White
Never be afraid of entering a space with competition. The service I launched today on PH (poket dev) is actually my first ever startup that doesn't have competition in its space.