Should founders do marketing (even if they are tech founders)?

Olena Bomko
113 replies

Replies

Andrew Lee
Absolutely! How else would you have heard about my app KnowItAll ? https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ai...
Mohammad Elzahaby
definitly! I am currently doing guerilla Marketing haha trying everything out but my main focus is seo, and reddit
Olena Bomko
@mohammad_elzahaby Reddit? Do you have a tech audience?
Mohammad Elzahaby
@olenabomko actually not but i could come up with other ways to market things for free besides reddit, have you got any suggestions?
Ocean El Chaar
@olenabomko @mohammad_elzahaby You can always check out a publishing platform. You fully take care of the app and keep it under your name and they take care of marketing and monetization, UA... if you are interested check out MWM or just reply here and we can figure it out.
Abdu Agial
@mohammad_elzahaby how do you approach doing marketing on Reddit? What’s your strategy?
Sia
I think yes. Especially if we speak of Indie hackers. It seems paramount to own the end-2-end journey as an indie hacker. But it also depends the business. I think, if you sell shoes it might be less important than if you're building a SaaS where the developer community is critical to your success.
Drew_Quinn
yes! more brand awareness i assume
Mathis Vella
Before building anything, the founder should validate the idea/business, so the founder is supposed to do some kind of marketing before working on the tech!
Ocean El Chaar
@mathis_vella How are you doing this? I just know one way to be honest and its via publishing platforms such as MWM that cover the marketing costs for me and test the app on my behalf . Any other other way?
Yes, everyone should!
Yannick
Everything needs to be marketed, which means that everyone needs to do marketing.
Mahsum Akbaş
Definitely yes. When it comes to sell smth, "the leader" first should have ability of marketing and selling. because, marketing includes any activity to grow your business. Go to investor, create team, support etc.
Toni
Yes, the answer is always yes. No matter if you are a tech founder, a Product founder, a Business founder. You must do marketing for your product. Best Known product beats Best product every time
Rohit Joshi
I think yes, having the tech founder handle marketing is ideal. They naturally understand the technicalities and customer needs, making the approach genuine and effective. When the founder takes charge, it really makes a difference.
Debajit Sarkar
Just as tech development requires specialization, so does marketing. Unless tech founders have the skills, knowledge, or tools to execute marketing campaigns across different channels and platforms they should not get involved in the marketing campaign. They can certainly assist their marketing team and provide them with guidance, feedback, and support, however tech founders must trust them to do their job well and empower them to make decisions.
Olena Bomko
@dsarkar What about building a personal brand?
Debajit Sarkar
@olenabomko That should be built around your abilities in tech not in marketing. To do that, you need to display your talents, prove your expertise and competence by producing useful content that informs, amuses, or motivates your audience. Help your audience as a tech founder by providing solutions to the problems or challenges that your audience faces. That too will supplement your team's marketing effort.
Jovana Djekovic
Absolutely, founders, even tech ones, should dive into marketing. It’s essential for understanding customer needs, shaping the product narrative, and driving initial growth.
AmazingSylvia
Definitely!There are many famous products winning for their founder start to write SEO articles and other marketing content. After all they are the one who know their product best. And people are more willing to trust those founders who cares their users.
Mansi Trivedi
Right now, I think everyone should be involved in marketing!
Erdem Gelal
Depends on what your definition of doing marketing is. I think every founder, regardless of responsibility should always be spreading the company vision & building awareness.
Eugene Yarovoii
Yes, founders should have a basic understanding of marketing and have some bare practice to effectively promote their tech innovations and grow their business.
Artyom Sviridov
If a founder has talent for both tech and marketing - sure, why not. But in my opinion, it's way better when each person does the job they excel at.
Olena Bomko
@sviridov What about building a personal brand? Especially if they have a tech audience?
Artyom Sviridov
@olenabomko Truth be told, I don't have much expertise on building a personal brand, but some people definitely shine at several various fields at the same time. These kinds of people might achieve success, of course.
Aswath Subramanian
I guess, the founders should be the first spokesperson for the product. Moreover, when the founder talks about their own product, it instills a sense of authenticity.
Jay Ding
Yep. I think founders are most suitable people to do marketing. Coz they know their products most.
Peter Hansen
Yes, why should it be different if they are tech founders? In general, everyone should do marketing!