Should an app be labeled "Made with AI" if a user used AI to assist in its development?

Gabe Perez
8 replies
In addition, should apps that use AI be labeled "Powered by AI" or something similar if more than a significant portion of their functionality is driven by AI?

Replies

Kyle Frost
Super interesting question. I'm of two minds – I don't think it's really necessary, given that I already don't care if something was written in Rails vs React vs Vue or whatever. I don't need to know every tool that developers used to build something. However, I do think an identifier like this will become more prevalent, particularly with technology that we *interact* with. I can imagine a sort of boutique/bespoke aspect to "real human" curation/interaction/suggestions. "Did this list of travel suggestions come from a real human I can identify with, or from ChatGPT"...and, does it matter? Fwiw at some point I think it probably becomes like a "Made in America" tag, something that is important to a certain amount of people but the vast majority of folks don't actually pay that much attention to. At the end of they day I think most people will not care if it's AI if it 1. works, and 2. is priced competitively.
@kylefrost def can see something like a "Made in X" tag for AI tools. Similar to how No-Code tooling like Bubble has some branding, I can see this happening as AI applications and toolings evolve. Thanks for sharing, Kyle!
Ryan Hoover
I don't care what programming language people use. Some people will get wrapped up in hysteria and take on an anti-AI identity, but I don't think most people will care how their problems are solved and if "AI" was used to do so.
@rrhoover thanks for sharing Ryan! Agreed, things like ChatGPT are tools and we don't say we built a house with a hammer. I like @syswarren's approach of listing the tools in "credits" or acknowledge so for those who do care or are studying how something was built can refer back to it.
@sewell_stephens I would approach this more as transparency vs necessary. I really like the approach listed by @syswarren of just acknowledging the tools used. It doesn't call attention to the tools being used to create a solution yet it's still referenced in the documentation.
Julie Chabin
I don't think it's necessary as a user-facing label. Still, I'd find it normal to mention which AI was used in credits and acknowledgments pages, like we mention open-source libraries and other resources used to build an application. Most people don't care what libraries, languages, and resources were used to build a product, but it'd be fair to give credit where it's due. Now, one issue I have with this is that most AIs do not credit their sources, but that's another discussion ;)
@syswarren I like this approach! List in the credits but doesn't necessarily need to be labeled. Oh man, AI crediting their sources is a good discussion to have.