Sharing 8 Product Hunt Launch Tips from 2 recent launches. What did we miss? Share your insights!

Neil Roy
2 replies
What we learnt: Be as ethical as possible with your distribution! #1 Your friends/family upvote plan can flag the PH Algo as unethical, you need to ensure these folks already have a PH profile + warmed up with PH activities. Or else, you may either notice other products with lesser upvotes going ahead of you, or X upvotes getting removed from your listing on the day of launch! #2 Sending large volume (500-1000+ visitors) via say cold emails straight to your PH page can flag the Algo. We got an external traffic of 500+ relevant visitors over a 1hr period & saw 30 upvotes vanish! #3 "Notify Me" on coming soon page is your biggest asset! A 500+ notify me list can get you 200+ upvotes of regular PH folks! Setup a 4-6 week pre launch warmup activity - find products in your niche, see regular PH folks who upvoted, find them on Ln/email/slack communities & see if they'd like to support you with upvotes/feedback. Team of 6-10 ppl can easily warm up 600-800 folks. #4 Get a hunter with ur product niche ICP, that helps get a good 100-150 votes. Really expensive hunters who can give you 500+ upvotes, but can be expensive (one of their intro call is $500). #5 Launch day in IST. Start at 12:30pm, 1st 2hrs PH will shuffle the order irrespective of votes, then it will rank based on votes. By 6:30pm try to get 300 upvotes to stay 3-5 position, post which US traffic kicks in (where you need 2nd level of audience ready). #6 Keep good proportion of upvotes, to comments, to reviews - good ratio is 400 upvotes : 150 comments : 100 reviews. PH added a new feature, if any comment is 150+ characters, commenter can add stars to make it a review as well. #7 Start a few discussions & comments on PH, so that ppl find you from the (launching soon) tag next to your name & come to check your product. But please be real, I've seen chatgpt comments and they're really lame! #8 No winning combo. They say Wed tougher than Thu? I've seen Wednesday products with 300 upvotes in top 5, while Thursday 500+ upvotes in position 8, totally depends on others products on launch day. Share your insights/observations below!

Replies

Rohit Maheswaran
Great insights! Need to work on getting honest reviews
Kritika Pathak
This is a fantastic curation!