Pros and cons of a remote first company: Go!

Charlie Gilkey
9 replies
(Bonus: How does your team address challenges that arise when working remotely?)

Replies

Kristen Nichols
I love remote work and the flexibility it gives to my life overall, but I miss connecting with my co-workers on the little things. It's taken me much longer to get to know people than it would in person.
Nicole Chaplin
It's hard to have that water cooler time that is spontaneous. If you don't have a meeting planned it won't happen. However, being remote allows you to reach anyone across the world. There are no limits whatsoever. One of my co-workers is in Italy and I am in Miami, Florida. That amazes me. The company we work for is somewhat always functioning at some point because we are in so many different time zones. We are exposed to different cultures and energies. That makes remote work incredible!
Kat Lapelosa
Pros: For me, everything! I love the flexibility it offers in terms of work styles (not a morning person so working remotely lets me make my own hours or at least be comfy for morning meetings). Cons: more meetings to gain clarity on action items. Not a deal breaker but does take some diligence for sure. We have open and honest discussions about our workloads to keep things fresh as can be.
Doğu Gül
Launching soon!
Pros: It is good to plan your day with your job in a more flexible way Cons: It is hard to ensure the engagement of employees in the remote workplace. They may not find opportunities to socialize. So, we have a great tool to solve this problem. Guul allows you to play online games in Slack workspace to make your remote team more social with games. Feel free to give us feedback :) https://www.producthunt.com/prod...
Gaurav verma
That's depends on your management style
Gaurav verma
@charliegilkey Sure. If you like to micromanage, want a meeting before taking any decision. There are not benefits of a remote company. You want people in same place.
Osheyana Martinez
Pros: flexibility, ownership of your time, strengthening your work ethic, honoring your own limits, meeting people from all over, learning new technology (sometimes that makes your life easier) I love remote work, but the big cons for me relate to my particular learning styles and personal habits, as well as my personality, which tends to be extroverted. Finding time to get to know your teammates can be challenging - but I feel that it's still a positive; I've been in workplaces where people get to know each other a little too well and they create cliques or have a hard time maintaining boundaries with each other. The space between us helps us all stay professional, and the little glimpses we get into each others' lives are generally very special. Maybe that's just my team though ;)
T0ha
I haven't work for an on-site company for 7 years but I have worked with a lot of then remotely since then. Pros: I have my own schedule, office or other place to work. I can travel a lot without taking too much vacations. Cons: Sometimes it's hard to set a meeting to make it fit everybody's timezone. And nobody can buy you a coffee except yourself, you know...