Pitfalls to avoid when working with agencies (based on my $120k worth of experience)

Aleksandr Volodarsky
13 replies
I was inspired by one of the questions from the community here. So I decided to share my insight on choosing agencies to work with. Coming from personal experience, there are tons of ways working with an agency can go wrong. Iโ€™ve spent $120k working with 4 agencies: SEO, paid acquisition, conversion copywriting, and design ๐Ÿ˜บ I also know the situation from the other side, as I run a development marketplace to hire vetted engineers (http://lemon.io). Having matched hundreds of developers with startups and worked with agencies myself, I found what makes choosing an agency a success. Sharing my personal checklist:

Replies

Aleksandr Volodarsky
๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿผ Go to the agency when you clearly know what needs to be built. User stories, jobs to be done, roadmap or design: whatever specification you have. Otherwise, much of the code will be thrown away. Same rules work for marketing agencies. If you donโ€™t know your users and positioning, none of the agencies will do marketing for you. ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿผ Check out the background before shortlisting Start with research: find testimonials or real products the agency helped build. Check the โ€œShowcaseโ€ section on the website. Open Trustpilot & G2.
Aleksandr Volodarsky
๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿผ Ask for a consultation before you commit to anything Meeting the team can help you check the fit before starting the project. If youโ€™re looking for a dev agency, chat with developers beforehand. Soft skills are as critical as ability to code. ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿผ Really, get to know the developers Ensure that the developers assigned to your project are the ones actually doing the work. Be sure, the dev is fairly paid.
Aleksandr Volodarsky
๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿผ Draft the specification Spend time scoping the development, UI or QA tasks or ask for just scope beforehand. Having clear requirements will help you manage the costs. ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿผ Start small & provide feedback Figure out if you can get the small commitment from the beginning. Focus on delivering a smaller MVP with the ability to change developers on the way (if it gets stuck). Get iterations with user feedback as early as possible to ensure youโ€™re moving in the right direction. Move in short sprints. Pay for milestones.
Aleksandr Volodarsky
๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿผ Keep the decision-making in-house Make sure you have the technical co-founder or CTO to make the macro decisions. If you donโ€™t want to include someone full-time, you can get started with a fractional CTO. Donโ€™t outsource strategy. ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿผ Hire the agency thatโ€™s a good fit for your style Pick the team that uses the same development approach, has remote culture, shares similar values and youโ€™d generally like to hang out with those people.
Aleksandr Volodarsky
๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿผ Ask for replacement policy Verify that the agency has a replacement policy in case of bad hires or other issues. Have an agreement that outlines who owns the right to the product and the associated intellectual property. ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿผ Protect your idea Include code ownership into the contract. Outline that you own the right to the product and the associated intellectual property.
Aleksandr Volodarsky
I hope it was useful! ๐Ÿ˜Š
daniel roy
Thanks for your tips and that's totally correct since I've been working in an agency and also have an experience with my own agency. If I can add the checklist I would add make sure we have time to regularly meet with the agency, my experience as an agency working with super busy person is very painful yes the client give us (the agency) quick feedback but sometimes the feedback was not always can be implemented and we need time to discuss with the client. If there is no time to meet then it automatically will pushback the timeline.
Aleksandr Volodarsky
@daniel_roy93 I totally agree. Regular meetings with the agency are crucial to ensure that both parties are on the same page and that feedback can be effectively incorporated into the project. Thank you for your comment!
Nick Mazikov
One thing we know for sure, there are no pitfalls in working with us. We will quickly help you find a venture investor for your startup, as well as help you prepare your startup for presentation to investors
รgh Helmut
As someone who owned a software development agency for years, I think the relationship between clients and agencies should be often rethought. Situations when an agency knows more about a business than its owners and it cannot be replaced can easily occur and sometimes it would be healthier for both parties to end the relationship. If a business is hiring an agency, they should keep track of everything and have all the knowledge to replace the agency when necessary!