People who are afraid to break their ProductHunt streak, why?

Sergey Kornilov
8 replies
This is just a vanity metric, right?

Replies

John Stephen Aïmond Banson
I don't think you should be afraid to break your PH streak, but keeping it going also means interacting with and learning from other makers. The streak is definitely not the most important thing, but it's not exactly a vanity metric if you like tracking progress. Also, if you do it right, the streak eventually won't matter anyway. If you're more interested in, say, working out, than keeping a workout streak, you'll have more fun, but just knowing that you do it every day... it's just...satisfying, you know?
phprunner
@blarckat I like that little warm feeling too, using the website every day, enjoying it, and seeing your streak grow. Just wanted to see how others feel about it.
Sanat Mohanty
Good question. Honest confession - I'm afraid of breaking any kind of streak. 'Seeing' progress is addictive :)
phprunner
@sanat_mohanty I'm the same way, I can be addicted to this kind of quick reward too. Just checking how others feel about it.
Yassin Bouacherine
Streaks, upvotes, and comments (from what I have seen so far) are mostly vanity metrics. It would be interesting to have a specific page dedicated to product makers, sharing their work, progress, and struggles. It could open up to comments helping people to get their goals straight into making it. To me, it sounds more interesting than simply posting questions that may not be related to "products" or keeping some streak just for the sake of it. Just my two cents!
Zeng
I never thought of that. Just fun to see what is on PH every day. I like new things.😆
phprunner
@zeng Me too. But I found that I rarely visit PH on weekends because I have other stuff to do and lost my streak a few times. So the question for me is to either make it a daily routine and to stop worrying about it.
Rich Watson
well users who are active, have a streak, some points, and an aged account are way more likely to have their launch be on the 'featured' list of products page..