Our experience with Pet Tech

Natallia Shakhmetava
4 replies
For a year and a half of the Woofz's (our dog training app) existence, it has more than 2 million downloads. There are 10 thousand+ active users per day. So, few interesting facts about PetTech šŸ¶ - 95% of global pet owners consider their pet a member of the family, so they really take care of thier pet well-being; - according to the 2021-2022 APPA National Pet Owners Survey, 70% of U.S. households own a pet, which equates to 90.5 million homes - the market is estimated to be worth $20-30 billion a year; - in the UK alone, 3.2 million households acquired a pet within about a year of the onset of the pandemic; - North American pet wearable device market surpassed $1 billion in 2020 the compound annual growth rate between 2021 and 2027 will reach over 21%. šŸ“Œ What do think, why PetTech is still have so few developers were entering the field?

Replies

Faheem Sarwar
@shakhmetava_natallia I'm planning to launch a blog related to pets I'll explore Woofz thanks for sharing some insights.
Ben Dalziel
If PetTech is still small, I would expect it's because there has to be a need for tech, via problems to solve, not just a tepid association. It sounds like you've identified a large audience, but it sounds like there are a low number of customers. Until that changes, or there is a tech break through which unlocks additional problem solving, it'll remain hard to make money. An important book in this context is Lean Customer Development, by Cindy Alvarez: https://www.cindyalvarez.com/lea... ==================== I would guess that the pet wearable market grew along with a building perception of fear-of-loss, and the increased personification of our pets (as you note, "95% of global pet owners consider their pet a member of the family"), correlating, no doubt, to the increased surveilling of our kids too, and the associated tech advancements that make this possible. Every "Lost Cat/Dog" sign was converting audience to customers - making them realize they had a problem, awaiting a solution. Look for cumbersome work arounds or "hacks" that people are doing which would be improved with tech - those are the opportunities to grow customers, and it sounds like there aren't many in PetTech...yet?
Lilia Nimchuk
Thank you for sharing your experience!
Amelia Brown
According to PetCareRx, The desire for a healthier lifestyle, more emphasis on exercise, resorting to supplements for improved well-being, and technology playing a bigger role in daily life are all consumer trends that we are noticing in the pet care industry.