Open-ended surveys?

roaga
4 replies
How often and for what do you use open-ended surveys for? Are they good for understanding customers? If I've also found a way to let open-ended surveys ask follow-up questions (like an interviewer) using AI, would that be a useful thing to do?

Replies

I'd say open-ended questions are the 2nd best way to get rich feedback from your users (number 1 is to observe what they do and listen to what they already say). Nothing better than an open ended question like 'What can we do better? ". The only downside of open ends is that they can be harder to analyze at scale, but AI can help you summarize large data sets. Good use of a follow-up question with AI could be "probing", ie. giving respondents a second change of giving an opinion if they are unwilling to give one in the first place.
Open ended surveys will help you understand your customers better by letting them give feedback in their own words.I think it's up to you how often you should use them, depends on what you're trying to achieve. Using AI to ask follow-up questions in open-ended surveys could be cool for getting more insights, but it might not always be spot on so you may need to check it manually too.
Daniel Do
Launching soon!
We're sending 5-minute surveys to new users to get their feedback and it's an amazing source of insights and feedback. You have to combine it though with some incentive such as free credits or something for them to be motivated. I would define your survey with a combination of closed and open-ended questions. Ideally have one closed, and one open, etc. and keep it short to have the users engaged :)
Aviel Kogan
IMO, open ended surveys are a great way to make sure you don't miss anything that your customer would like to share with you and you didn't cover with your questions.