New Year's Resolutions are for losers

Roland Marlow
3 replies
I feel like people on PH are better than this. Only 9% of people complete their New Year's Resolutions. If you're the kind of person who waits until the new year to start new habits or goals, you're already behind. Goals and habits should be started on the day they are thought up. If your New Year's Resolution is to eat healthier or go to the gym, why wait? If you have the mindset to wait, you'll have the mindset to stop or find an excuse otherwise. Start your New Year's Resolution today and don't call them that, it's just a normal goal or habit.

Replies

We can build rituals around New Years that are effective. The problem is that, like any goal, sometimes making it is enough and we never end up doing it. Nobody achieves everything they set out to achieve. That just makes them people.
Totally get what you’re saying. To some people it maybe like a reset of the clock. Like a new day or a new week, or a new month, the reset may have that psychological affect on people knowing they can reset and start fresh. But I agree with you that if you bum out by February or even august, you shouldn’t wait till the new year. Just my opinion though. To each their own!!
Roland Marlow
@slimmy82 Resets are completely fine, it's the whole "special goal/habit time at new years". If you need a reset (I do it all the time tbh), you just get out a clean sheet of paper, write down the date at the top, and set new goals or habits you want to work on, start right now. The minute you say "I want to do these things, but I'll wait until January 1"... you've failed.