Marketing 101 for tech geeks

Lalitha
12 replies
I have been answering questions on marketing in Reddit and most of them, as expected, revolve around the core pillars of marketing: 1. Lead Generation 2. Conversion 3. Onboarding 4. Decreasing the churn (percentage of customers who opt out of your service) 5. After service check-in (in case of product/one-off offers) If you look closely, it's similar to inviting someone to your house: 1. You introduce yourself to them (You can't expect the stranger to trust you duh!) - Ads (short term) - Referrals - Lead magnet 2. You get familiar and they trust you - Providing value through content or resources - Content Emails 3. You invite and send them a clear route to your home - Previous steps building up and directing them to the landing page - You welcome them with hostility - Giving them the info they need in the landing page 4. If they choose to sleepover (aka become your client), you provide them with essentials to feel at home - You follow up right after the sale with the automated email sequence/call to guide them on how it works 5. You notice if they don't like something and improve it. - Feedback forms, testimonials 6. You check in and see if they have reached back safely or if there's something you could do for them - Few days after the service period where you check in to see everything's working alright or if they need any help 7. You check in at regular intervals to maintain the relationship - Check in with client's business at regular intervals if there's anything you can help them out on/just sending goodwill their way If you want me to expand on anything here, please let me know in the comments.

Replies

Giles Crouch
This is a good list. But more process oriented. Start high level. Which of the four P's will be your strategic focus? Product, Price, Promotion, Place. Determine which is your north star, then build around the remainders and you'll find it easier to figure out the right digital tools, tactics and metrics to put in place.
Tyrone Robb
Launching soon!
The core pillars of marketing are the 4Ps. The problems you have highlighted are promotion and product. I done something similar on Reddit last year. I had a midweek day off and thought I would ask the question. Turns out a few hours later I was still answering questions. Unfortunately, Reddit can't self diagnose, they don't know if their pricing is 1) scaring people away or 2) leaving money on the table. they don't know if their marketing channels are optimum or if they are promoting in the wrong place or if they are trying to sell a high end product to low income people. I have consulted with numerous companies over the years who think this is their problem but in reality it was just a symptom of that problem. You have a nice analogy for the house and a guest.
Lalitha
@interseed_ty hey, thank you :D btw I realised the same thing with the questions I asked, I am new to SaaS space ( got some clients through reddit but was not the audience I intended to target yeah ) Can you please suggest me some SaaS communities to contribute to apart from Reddit and Indie hackers ? I am exploring product hunt and so far it's pretty good
Tyrone Robb
Launching soon!
@lalitha_ar you are welcome. Have a look for some on Linkedin. What are you trying to do? Sell services to SaaS companies or start one?
Lalitha
@interseed_ty Services for SaaS- Do you think LinkedIn would be appropriate? I considered LinkedIn a little previously, but most of what I found in the feed wasn't really of any value except 1-2 creators who were providing really good value Do you think it has to do with the kind of people I followed? Can you suggest me some good accounts please ?
Tyrone Robb
Launching soon!
@lalitha_ar it depends on what you are trying to offer. Have a look for some groups around the industries you know. Most of my clients have always been referrals, but I don't know exactly what you want to offer people. It may be useful for you to look here https://www.ycombinator.com/jobs and here https://workinstartups.com/ depending on your experience it may be worth looking somewhere like this https://www.toptal.com/ or similar sites if you are not experienced enough yet. (you look quite young in your profile pic).
Kobe Hall
Your analogy of marketing stages as inviting someone to your house is a creative and insightful way to break down the core pillars of marketing. It effectively captures the progression from initial introduction to maintaining a long-term relationship with customers. This analogy provides a clear and relatable framework for understanding the customer journey.
Vincent Xu
Launching soon!
Understanding the fundamental principles of marketing, especially in the tech industry, is crucial for effectively reaching and retaining customers. It's akin to inviting someone into your home: first, you generate leads through various channels like ads, referrals, or lead magnets, then you nurture them by providing valuable content and guiding them to your landing page. Once they're onboarded, it's essential to provide support and follow-up to decrease churn, just like ensuring your guest feels comfortable during their stay and addressing any concerns they may have. Tools like AiToolsKit.ai can assist in every step of this process, from creating engaging content to optimizing conversion strategies and maintaining customer relationships over time. ProductHunt Page: https://rebrand.ly/f13336