Light Theme vs. Dark Theme Mode for Your Product's Initial Launch

Amit Mirgal
9 replies
Is it advisable to offer both light and dark modes during the initial launch of your product? Could the absence of a dark mode theme potentially discourage users?

Replies

Paul Richardson
No. It should be a very low priority in your project plan.
It depends on your ICP. E.g. coders use the dark mode a lot and visual people in general like to have the power to choose/customize the product experience. With my startup Boxio.ai, we decided to have a possibility to choose the color for each box. Once the user can affect how the product looks like > more customization and engagement > higher chance that they will keep using the product
Deep Lakhani
Don't think light and dark mode matter at MVP stage. It can be done later.
Shajedul Karim
hey Amit, light theme vs dark theme is always a cozy debate, isn’t it? launching with both could be delightful for users, offering a choice is always warm and welcoming. but, there’s something to be said about simplicity and focus, especially at launch. sometimes, sticking to one theme lets you nail down other crucial aspects, ensuring no diversion of focus. could lacking a dark mode discourage some? maybe. but a smooth, bug-free experience with a single, well-designed theme can often outweigh the absence of options. offer what allows you to maintain quality and the true essence of your product. the additional shades can always join the palette in updates when the core is solid and feedback starts rolling in. softly, Karim
Amit Mirgal
@shajedulkarim_ I 100% agree!! It totally makes sense... Thanks for sharing and clearly putting your thoughts and insights. I appreciate it.🙏🏽