Learning by doing - a good strategy?

Lindsay Davis
38 replies
I'm talking about cases where someone has a great product or business idea and immediately begins working on it, but lacks any theoretical knowledge in areas like business, marketing, leadership, and other essential fields for steering the product towards success. Is it a good strategy?

Replies

Meadow Simmons
I also would be interested in getting the answer👀🤣
AmazingSylvia
Yes it is!Rome doesn't build in one day and if you're always waiting on your own ready, you may never be ready. Because everyone inevitably becomes an information cocoon. So do it!
Yannick
I think you learn from failures, and you fail by doing things. However, don't be afraid of failure, as it's not permanent. You might eventually succeed with a product that you failed with multiple times in the past. While it may sound theoretical, it's not. I, myself, fail a lot and I learn a lot.
Alexandr Builov
Hey Lindsay and Meadow, I believe the beauty of startups lies in learning and growing on-the-go. You don't always need theoretical knowledge. Yes, it's beneficial, but progress comes from applying, testing, and iterating your ideas 💡. Real-world experience provides invaluable insights that books often miss. Let's not undervalue the power of "doing" and learning from our own unique journey. Excited to hear others' take on this! 😊🚀
Darya Skorokhod
Jumping into a great idea without prior theoretical knowledge in any area can be a bold step. While direct action and hands-on learning can be quite valuable, combining this hands-on approach with some theoretical understanding could significantly enhance the chances of your success
Jean Gatt
100%! No other way to learn in my opinion. Just build and learn on the fly, and iterate as quickly as possible, while also taking all the learnings. It's obviously easier said than done, but so efficient.
Yash Dudhagara
@imlindsay @meadow_simmons It is the best one don't let anyone tell you anything else 😊
Maksim
@zhangzha Well, title and description are talking about different things. I don’t think you should rush into doing something you’re not completely comprehending. It’s not ideas that end up being valuable and end up being successful products. It’s solutions to problems you understand well.
Maksim
@maxdo So then if you have that piece figured out - you can learn the rest on the way, whether it’s coding, community building, marketing, business
Maksim
@maxdo You don’t need all these things you mentioned to succeed, but you need to push your product as fast as possible to validate the idea and make sure it works before investing more into it
Yogita Gholap
When it's one's idea, I believe that no one can execute it better than that person and definitely should start on it. However, one should always be open to suggestions and guidance in areas where one might lack expertise, such as business, marketing, or leadership, to increase the chances of a product's success.
Artyom Sviridov
Well, practice is the best teacher, as they say. And especially so in our ever-changing world.
Wyatt Feaster
I don't see why not. You try, learn, fail, and adapt.
Eliza Crescini
I think whether or not it is a good strategy to start working on a product or business idea without theoretical knowledge in areas like business, marketing, leadership, and other essential fields for steering the product towards success depends on a number of factors, including the following: 1. The complexity of the product or business idea 2. The founder's strengths and weaknesses 3. The resources available to the founder Ultimately, the decision of whether or not to start working on a product or business idea without theoretical knowledge is a personal one. There are successful entrepreneurs who have started businesses with little or no formal training. However, it is important to be aware of the risks involved and to take steps to mitigate those risks. It's a bit long, I'm sorry LOL! But hope it helps :)
Annitah
I believe this is a good strategy. Unfortunately, knowledge does not guarantee success. However, you can always hire people who have knowledge and skills in certain areas and learn from them while working on projects together.
Abdullah Kaludi
@imlindsay The "learning by doing" approach, while valuable for gaining practical experience and learning from mistakes, is most effective when complemented with theoretical knowledge and guidance from experts. Starting a project with a strong theoretical foundation can help avoid costly errors and provide a roadmap, while hands-on experience refines and adapts the journey. Striking a balance between theory and practice, seeking mentorship, and fostering adaptability are key to maximizing the success of business ideas and projects.
Jeff Fajans
Yes, for the most part with one caveat. A lot of learning is wasted (or at least not utilized in its full potential) because it is not applied. Many people accumulate more and more knowledge for "someday." And I often see people telling themselves they "need more research" before getting started on bringing to life their biggest ideas. This is a form of perfectionism. This is all fine, and there are even some benefits to curiosity-based learning and incubating ideas and knowledge for creativity. But the most effective way to deepen learning is to learn by taking action. The caveat I mentioned above is that to truly maximize the "learning by doing" strategy, you also need to add in "reflection" and create an Action*Reflection cycle. Without reflection on the actions you are taking, you do not maximize learning. You need reflection to see what's working, what's not, and make strategic adjustments.
Anthony Latona
Yeah, it's the best way to learn. You can read every book about product development, learn every javascript library, listen to every audio book about grit and leadership and every buzzword on the planet but you will only have consumed that content and not produced or BUILT anything. Build quickly, fail fast, move forward and learn along the way.
angel william
yeah its a very good strategy
William Woods
Yes it is!Rome doesn't build in one day and if you're always waiting on your own ready, you may never be ready.
Chritopher Bond
I also would be interested in getting the answer
Erick Philbert
Learning then doing is very dangerous because it hypes your ego, there's that feeling after learning something (feeling like a pro thing)... I prefer learning by doing.