Is your business global or focused on the local market?

Sergei Petrov
16 replies
What advantages and disadvantages do you see in localization? Share your experience.

Replies

Stas Voronov
For earliest stage I'd say there is no need in localization, better to select one segment and focus on it
rokcso
I think localization can be better focused on the local market and help gain a larger share in a market segment, but only if the product has been proven in a global market, first to verify that the product business model works, and second to verify that the product can be better profitable in a local market.
Michael Shver
I'm working on the soccer team management app, and for now my target market is the USA. This is the audience and market I know best from personal experience as a former player, and I have enough connections to conduct interviews and understand the current problems and struggles. The plan for now is to release the app in the USA and see how it goes. If we are successful with the launch in the USA, it would make sense to research other countries' markets and consider releasing the app there, taking into account the specific aspects of soccer team management in those countries. So, what I think is that the local market gives you an opportunity to test your idea with fewer hours spent on research, especially if you already know the market and the struggles of your target audience in one way or another.
Marina
Depends on product, team capacity, budget etc. But, overall, as for StartUp/small business I would go with local market first in order to gain experience, social proof and credibility. Based on results evaluate and decide next steps.
Global! And you should come check our next launch deco.cx 2.0 on April 2nd
ISTIAK AHMAD
Hey Sergei, for me its Global including local market!
Marvin Mรคndle
We are going global soon. But the last year we just focused on the German market.
Toni
Global from the start. Localization can be useful if the market is crowded worldwide but you're the first or have little competition on your market. Then focusing on your local market, adapting to your local needs will help you grow faster and become a leader in your space. look at the Samwer Brothers approach for the European market.
Neel
imo, if its a tech only product its hard to sustain a business model with only local focus for the following reasons: 1. Your developers' salary are usually benchmarked to global (particularly, US) standards. 2. Chances are a global focused company will enter your local market sooner or later (if not present) However, the scenario might differ for 'tech-enabled' businesses such as ride-hailing, food/grocery delivery apps, etc. - where local regulations, distribution channels and knowledge can pose as a barrier for foreign entrants. Similarly in case of medical/healthcare - there are local laws/regulations that differ from country to country (compare US FDA laws vs regulations in developing countries).
Gurkaran Singh
Localization can open up new markets and connect you with a global audience, but don't underestimate the power of tapping into the local market as well. Finding the right balance between global reach and local impact can be key to business success! ๐ŸŒ๐ŸŒ๐ŸŒŽ