Is working from home more productive?

Giovanni Ghigliotti
20 replies
Despite the potential problems caused by the professional and mental differences between the office and home, remote working has some productivity benefits. Although remote workers may have more distractions, they are typically more productive once they get to work. What do you think? Are we more productive working from home?

Replies

Anna Erst
I think it's very individual. For some people, yes, they are more productive. For some, there is no difference. Others have trouble organizing themselves at home, or simply want to kind of separate their home and office, so they prefer to work in an office. The best option is to give people a choice.
Giovanni Ghigliotti
@anna_erst Yes, but in large companies, there has to be someone who decides for everyone and puts rules in place; otherwise, it becomes complex to manage the team.
Anna Erst
@giovanni_ghigliotti2 yeah, probably. But the world has changed a lot within last three years and things will still change, so I think large companies will have to adjust to new working formats as well.
Philip Snyder
Depends on your role - but usually yes
Michael Lachar
This debate continues, and for good reason. There are so many factors that go into it. Individual productivity can, at times, definitely be helped by working in solitude and in your own space. However, such a dynamic can also be achieved in the office. For example, some people like to put on headphones while at work and zone out their surroundings, which also achieves a certain kind of solitude. Then, separately, there's group productivity which definitely benefits from in-person interaction and is very hard to replicate over video conferencing while at home. So in the end it depends on the person, circumstances, environment, and project - as well as many other variables. And that's why it's a particularly difficult question to answer.
Giovanni Ghigliotti
@michael_lachar That completely makes sense. I agree with you here. ✔ Thanks for showing a wider picture. :)
Aize
There's a lot of debate on this topic, and I doubt there would ever be a concrete answer because it's dependent on an assumption that everyone works with the same conditions, which is obviously not the case. If I were to assume that everyone works the same, then remote work would be more productive for a few reasons; - Home is your own space and you're not constantly interrupted. - You can set your own schedule and you're more likely to be working in an environment that you're comfortable with. - There's usually less noise and more privacy. - You have more control over the environment which can encourage creativity. - You can still easily collaborate with others if needed.
Giovanni Ghigliotti
@aize_dev These points are quite considerable but I think it does create a gap between you and your team members. 💁‍♂️
Richard Gao
I think it's more productive but I spend less time doing work. So it's essentially an efficiency boost.
Shushant Lakhyani
WFH is never productive. My mom keeps asking to leave work and get some vegetables from the supermarket
Giovanni Ghigliotti
@shushant_lakhyani Interesting, how do you manage wfh in such situations? 😉
Arpan
It depends actually, I think Hybrid is the best model
Launching soon!
Yes, remote working is much better because it improves work life balance and increases the productivity. We had implemented the hybrid work model and it provides employers with a new range of possibilities.
Pavel Kukhnavets
Working from home may seem preferable option in case you have a reliable and multi-featured online project management tool. It'd be great if such a tool contains collaboration functionality. My team has been using GanttPRO https://ganttpro.com/ for several years and we totally satisfy with the quality and power of online Gantt charts for planning and task management.