Is the quality of UI and the presence of animation important for the MVP?

Sergei Petrov
22 replies
Often we try to make quick functionality to test it. Have you ever faced the fact that the first customers were turned away by an ugly interface or poor quality design of the application?

Replies

Kate Rusalovich
I believe that good design should be clear, functional, consistent, and, sure, fast to build. For early stage - fancy UI can be important for B2C startups and less for B2B. Animation doesn't help to validate idea - so not for MVP.
Sergei Petrov
Personally, I try to maintain balance throughout the development process. And at the very beginning, I consciously try to spend less time on the interface in order to spend more resources on functionality. 🤔
Chris Lindner
@sergeipetrov Our UI designer makes the interface simple and clean, so you can explain it as minimalism. But the motion of interaction needs to be smooth, which can make it look "expensive".
Sergei Petrov
@echo_ai It's great when there are resources for good design. But have you ever had to choose between speed and quality?
Chris Lindner
@sergeipetrov Not often. But if you have too less time for a complete product, I think it's better to figure out what your MVP prefers, visual experience or technology. Communication and information will tell you how to save time.
Geri Máté
UI doesn't have to be world class but it has to be clean enough to help users get things done without context. I think a good UI is essential part of an MVP.
Sergei Petrov
@geri_mate Fully agree! But at the same time, it is not easy to make a good-quality interface and it happens that founders spend too many resources on it. At the same time, you can make pure functionality and help the first users deal with the application on personal calls. Collecting the first feedback is very important as soon as possible.
Josh B.
The main goal of an MVP is to test the core functionality of your app and get feedback from users. You can improve the UI and add animations later, once you have a better understanding of what your users want.
Sergei Petrov
@benjil Have you ever turned down a new product just because of bad design?
Oh, definitely! It's like trying to enjoy a delicious meal when it's served on a messy plate – presentation matters a lot. I've seen cases where amazing functionality got overshadowed by a not-so-appealing interface, and it ended up turning potential users away. First impressions really do count! 😄
Sergei Petrov
@akanksha_hunts Yeah! Do you know ways to tell if product design is scaring customers away? What would you say, for example, about our landing page? 😄 https://www.ping-mi.com/
Çağla Çağlar
Certainly! Presentation is everything. Even the best features can be overlooked due to a weak interface. Making a solid first impression on initial users is critical, so paying attention to design and user interface quality is necessary. ✨
Sergei Petrov
@uxcagla Sounds rational. How do you know if enough attention has been paid? It happens that users do not say that they do not like something and just leave.
Nicholas Foster
Quality UI and some animation can enhance user experience even in an MVP, but they shouldn't overshadow functionality.
Sergei Petrov
@nfoster_85 Yes, I agree with you. The feeling that everything should be in balance. But finding it is the hardest part. 😏
Maël Harnois
MVP = make it as sexy as possible with the less code & time possible it's a fine balance between usable and beautiful enough to generate envy to use it haha
Sergei Petrov
@maelus Do you have any tips on how to find that balance? 😄 🙏
Daniel Burns
In our case, we kept the UI clean and simplistic, for the start. Now, we are shifting our focus mainly on the functionality of the app to ensure that the core features are developed and tested thoroughly. Subsequently, we can think about the refinement and enhancement of the UI.
Sergei Petrov
@testifi Are you making a web application? Do you pay attention to adaptive layout?