Indie app developer here, how to handle marketing/sales if you are doing everything alone?

Mohammad Elzahaby
11 replies

Replies

Ksenia Larina (she/her)
build a personal brand among your target audience. Define: - who they are - what they care/worry about, what kind of problems they encounter (that's going to be your content plan) - where they talk about those things (Twitter/subreddits/Tiktok/other online communities — this is going to give you an idea on which platform to use to build your personal brand) Then you'll start building a community: - post content - follow the thought leaders in your niche and network with them - engage in community discussions, comments, give shoutouts. And then start taking about what you do and how and why you do it better than others. It's going to take a while to see the traction, so you'll have to stick to it for a few months before you see any real tangible results, but they will come. And once they do — it's only up from there.
Mohammad Elzahaby
@kay_larina thanks a lot, so the best way is through a personal brand?
Ksenia Larina (she/her)
@mohammad_elzahaby if you're bootstrapped and don't have time/money to hire and manage a marketing team — I'd say yes :) Good thing about personal brand — it stays with you whatever you do. A good example would be @levelsio — he's build multiple products on his own and most of the marketing he does is basically personal brand building on twitter and other communities. Building in public, establishing yourself as an expert in your niche — all that ;)
Ksenia Larina (she/her)
@mohammad_elzahaby why? :) you're pretty much already doing the same thing posting on ProductHunt, and building your personal brand also gives you the freedom of being yourself and having fun. What are your biggest concerns?
Mohammad Elzahaby
@kay_larina i am working in a corporate, I kinda feel insecure, could lose my job get legal issues, and I fear failure infront of friends and family
Ksenia Larina (she/her)
@mohammad_elzahaby got you! in that case — you can always create an incognito online persona and build a fictional brand. Can even give a certain edge :) And you can always change your mind and do a reveal when/if you feel like doing so.
Peyt Spencer Dewar
I have this question myself!
Kathan Desai
Use a set of SaaS tools to have a proper workflow for both marketing and sales. Important Marketing tools: Canva, Hootsuite (scheduling), Copy.Ai (content) Important Sales Tools: Calendly (meeting scheduling), Instantly (email campaigns), Apollo.io (lead) If you want to discuss more, feel free to ping me on linkedIn!
Mohammad Elzahaby
@kathan_desai1 but using all that together, when do you find time to bring the product further? Isn't there anything I could focus on?