In SaaS, What are your best growth techniques to convert free trial users to paid plans ?

Toni
31 replies
Wondering how to incentivize B2B free trial users of a SaaS to upgrade to paid plans. 🙏🏻

Replies

Rohan Pathak
I'd say welcome email flows and education email flows Welcome email flows to welcome free trial users and build a connection with them to get their trust Follow up with education email flow (basically onboarding email flow) that helps them learn how to use your software well and get the results they want You can write these email flows once and automate them with triggers using email marketing softwares (so you can nurture them on autopilot)
Toni
@persuasionkid thanks Rohan, email nurturing seems indeed a very effective strategy. Do yo recommend any affordable email marketing software, for starting projects ?
Rohan Pathak
@toni_pm loops.so is a good tool to start with, it's specifically built for SaaS email marketing and the free plan is pretty good
Toni
@persuasionkid Great, thanks. Loops is the tool I had my eye on. Love what @frantzlight and team built there especifically for SaaS
Relja Denic
Have an onboarding call for free and help them set up everything. That's very effective in the beginning when you don't have a lot of users. 2nd best thing is doing all that but without the call, which is a lot harder to automate and make good for everyone.
Olena Bomko
Onboarding emails, in-app notifications.
sumit sharma
Email Campaigns and Newsletters.
Toni
@sumit_sharma29 thanks Sumit. How do you leverage a newsletter to push conversion ?
Shushant Lakhyani
I think you can take surveys of what they think about switching to a paid plan and what might or might not be the reason for them to not opt for your paid plans
Shajedul Karim
hey Tonie to convert trial users to paid, it's all about showing them they can't live without your tool. help them see the day-to-day value it brings, solve their problems before they even notice them, and weave your SaaS seamlessly into their workflows. be there, be helpful, and let them realize they don’t want to go on without you.
Toni
@shajedulkarim_ thanks Shajedul ! How do you « show » them the value ? Is it in app , or tool tips, videos, webinars, newsletters etc ?
Neha Banta
Being in Saas business, this is what we follow for conversions - - We focus on personalized onboarding and communication. - Launch exciting offers, but with a limited time period. - Offer excellent customer support. - Gather user feedback to continuously improve the user experience. Hope this might help you as well!
Judith Amarachi 💙
Great question, Toni. There are so many ways you can do that. First, ensure that what you're offering them is not what they are already paying for elsewhere. If it is not, do the following: ✅ Make the paid offer 10 times better and more beneficial than the free trial ✅ Give them a taste of it for like 7-14 days and withdraw back the paid trial. ✅ Collect feedback from those who didn't pay for it and find out why they didn't. ✅ If it is money issues, offer them a discount ✅ If it is something else, use the feedback and appeal to them.
Peter agar
Provide value. Keep them updated. Cold Calls.
Jake Harrison
Ask the credit card at people sign up
Toni
@jakeharr opt out is an option. But isn’t that also a short term way to increases conversion, if people just “forget to opt out” ? With potentially lots of complaints or refund requests after a few months ?
AmazingSylvia
Email campaign and newsletters I guess, and the words from the sales team.
Kim Curtis
High touch points is great for conversion. Knock their socks off by making it as easy as possible to use your SaaS product. And show such value that they don't want to move away.
Philipp Shay
To convert free trial users into paying customers you should take these steps: >>>Enhance your paid plans with new and valuable features based on customer feedback and research. >>> Consider reducing features and imposing limits on free trials to encourage users to upgrade. >>>Promote your paid plans as distinct products through various channels, such as webinars, social media, newsletters, and onboarding processes. Remember to add new features exclusively to the paid plans. This way, you can generate the majority of your revenue from the 20% of users who choose to pay for these enhanced offerings.
franklin akpu
from a customers perspective which i have been a few times i would say onboarding experience, exciting offers and a great product that does what it says it would do.
Toni
@franklin_akpu thanks Franklin ! Always good to get back to the “fundamentals” from a user’s perspective
YYYJ
Engage with Personalized Communication!! Send targeted and relevant emails, in-app messages, and notifications during the trial period. Highlight the benefits of upgrading and address user pain points.
I have a system where by the user get to use to the product and build it into their work flow as frictionlessly as possible After generating messages for 20 different accounts, they get redirected to a landing page that gets them too book a call or drop me an email This then hopefully gives me the chance to get feedback at the same time I try to make the sale