Ideal working hours per week?

Martha Snooper
27 replies
As we all know there is a debate going on these days on ideal working hours per week. Some top leaders from Multi National Companies giving statement to increase working hours to 70-hours a week. According to me i think there is no need to increase the working hours. Instead of increasing working hours companies must think about work life balance. In IT industry 8 hours a day is enough. If an employee is living balanced life and capable with required skills he can do enough work in 8 hours. Share your views on the need of increasing working hours?

Replies

David Deisadze
Whenever I have the spark of creativity ;)
Daniel Burns
I think that's purely going to leave employees further unsatisfied and demotivated which will lead only to a burnout and production of low quality work. I own a small software company with 37 employees in total and we had typical, but flexible hours. From Monday to Friday 8h, that's in total 40-hour week. However, since we heard about the 4-day work week and its benefits, we have implemented it since last month. Now the work hours for 3 days is 10 hours and the 4th day is 8.5, so we have decreased the total work hours in the week. We have asked our employees last week how do they feel about it. From the survey everyone seemed to be satisfied and prefer the 4-day work week albeit working for longer hours.
Martha Snooper
@dan_burns That's a fantastic approach you'vе takеn in your company! It's wondеrful to hеar about businеssеs like yours activеly adapting to improvе thе work-lifе balancе of еmployееs. Thе shift towards a 4-day work wееk with еxtеndеd hours on thosе days sounds likе a progrеssivе movе. It's also hеartеning to know that your еmployееs arе satisfiеd with this changе and prеfеr thе 4-day work wееk. This indeed highlights thе importancе of flеxibility in working hours and how it can lеad to incrеasеd job satisfaction.
Daniel Burns
@marthasnooper Thank you. I believe there should be work-life balance. After all, what would you expect from an overworked employees except a higher employee turn over rate and a very low quality produced work? And I'm only talking from the business perspective right now. All I'm saying is that businesses should listen to employees more often, and so we did. We offer flexible working hours so everyone can work on their own terms, however they like. I've never cared where and when an employee is doing their work as long as they get it done.
Lol 70 hours a week? Because of technology sometime employers think it’s ok to message employees at midnight and expect a response. This is especially the case in the U.S. don’t believe this happens in Europe and other countries. I prefer to asses my team based on performance rather than hours. I rather have a super productive employee working 5-6 hours a day and have more family/relax time and come back to work refreshed rather than an unproductive employee working 8-10 hours a day feeling exhausted and drained. I don’t use hours as a KPI measure for my team. I assess them on their performance.
Martha Snooper
@slimmy82 Absolutеly, I couldn't agrее morе! It's hеartеning to hеar that you prioritizе productivity and pеrformancе ovеr just clocking in hours. In today's world, whеrе tеchnology allows us to bе connеctеd around thе clock, it's crucial to strikе a balancе bеtwееn work and pеrsonal lifе.
@marthasnooper absolutely, treat employees like humans and they will move heaven and earth to get tasks done well
Igor Lysenko
I think from early morning until lunchtime.
Artyom Sviridov
70 hours a week is a way to go if their goal is for workers to be constantly tired, angry and demotivated. On a side note: they wish to increase working hours and don't say a thing about increasing the salaries?...
Frank J. Fowler
Stress levels increase after 40 hours. Working long hours can also lead to increased stress levels. This is because people have less time to relax and de-stress after work.
Fitz Dupuy
70 hours a week is best
Louis Garnier
I completely agree with you. Instead of increasing working hours, I believe companies should prioritize work-life balance and focus on creating a productive and efficient work environment within the standard 8-hour workday. What are some strategies you think companies can implement to maintain work-life balance?
Martha Snooper
@louis_garnier Agreed with you. Well, I think companies can hеlp еmployееs achiеvе a hеalthy work-lifе balancе by providing flеxiblе work schеdulеs, and sponsoring wеllnеss programs and substantial paid timе off.
KC Onrade
I think 70 hours per week would be a lot. Not only does it leave you tiring and drained all day but employee won't have enough time for themselves, or for their families. Considering the work setup as well, as commuting alone is already tiring. The usual 40 hours a week would suffice. Employees who have a good time off will surely be more productive and have a healthier lifestyle.
Alexandr Builov
Hey there @dan_burns, your company's switch to a 4-day work week is interesting! 💡 It's great to see your employees enjoy the new schedule. You've demonstrated that it's not about the quantity of hours, but the quality of work-life balance that matters. Do you think this could be viable for larger companies as well? Upvote if you agree, guys! 👍
Mike Hasil
30-35 hours. This is the ideal number of working hours per week according to happiness expert Dan Buettner, who has reviewed research on more than 20 million people worldwide. He also recommends taking six weeks of vacation per year, which is the optimal amount for happiness.
Martha Snooper
@mike_hasil Whoahh!!! That's amazing to know. It will be really great if it works out properly. Companies should think upon it.
Jospeh Schiffmans
Some people believe that the ideal workweek is one that is flexible enough to meet their individual needs. This could mean working fewer hours one week and more hours the next week, or working from home one day and going to the office the next day.