I worked from home for 6yrs – here are my 20 tips to boost your WFA productivity in 2023:

Vedran Rasic
40 replies
I worked from home for 6 years. Here are my best 20 tips for setting healthy work-life boundaries in 2023: 𝘗.𝘚. 𝘚𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘴𝘦 𝘵𝘪𝘱𝘴 𝘮𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘣𝘦 𝘧𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘪𝘣𝘭𝘦 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘺𝘰𝘶. 𝘉𝘶𝘵 𝘥𝘰 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘴𝘪𝘥𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘴𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘢𝘳𝘦... 1. Understand that you aim to find something that you enjoy doing most of the time. This is not a cliche. It is doable. 2. Get fiber internet, a 4k camera, a microphone, and lights. It will pay dividends. 3. Separate living from the working environment. When I shut the door of my basement, that's it. 4. I have my "office" shoes. I am primed to think that work just started when I am in them. It's a neat way to divide my routines. 5. Every once in a while, go to a coffee shop or work with somebody you like for a day. Or go to the office if possible. 6. Have focused time. Book off some time on your calendar without notifications, just deep work. Google Calendar now even offers it under "focused time." 7. Turn off sounds, notifications, and other distractions. 8. Put your phone out of sight and reach when on your laptop/desktop. 9. If you work on a computer, get a standing desk. That's it. Period. Go! And get that standing mat too. 10. Figure out what calms you. Example: Sometimes, I take a shower in the middle of the day. On other days I take a nap or go jogging. 11. It's OK not to be productive. Take time off the screen. Do it often. 12. Set up times in your calendar for meals, exercise, and hobbies. 13. Try and have at least 1 day/week without meetings. Book it off. Fridays are good days for that. 14. Jam as many meetings together as possible. Keep meetings from being spread out too much. It will kill your productivity. 15. Do meetings standing. You'll finish them quicker. 16. Try not to bring any digital/office gear to your bedroom. 17. Have two computers. One for work. One for fun. 18. Have an object that helps you to decompress... I have an electric guitar + an amp. 19. Print out some useful reminders. I have a picture that says: "Be kind to your mind." 20. If you can't get away from the virtual office, do something where you have to apply your undivided attention. For example, I do MTB or a long drive to someplace. Or do anything where you can't have the internet, and that'll do. :) — And now I'll disappoint you. I don't believe in a work-life balance. Yikes! You are YOU (and should be!), wherever you are at work or home. In 2023 there's no need to fake/facade things. So keep playing and discovering. And you'll find the optimal balance between you and the output (legacy) you leave behind. No need to live two lives. Live one that matters. — Keep creating! 🎉

Replies

Ekaterina Arbuzova
I do ~60% of what you mentioned :) I can especially relate to the part about "office shoes" (as wearing something more formal helps me to concentrate) and taking shower in the middle of the day to recharge.
Vedran Rasic
@katerina_arbuzova Ekaterina! that's it. Remote peeps recognizing each other ;) Which tip was new to you?
maryam sh
Thanks Vedran. They were great
Vedran Rasic
@mary_sh1 20 is a lot... but start with putting your phone away :) And shoes :) those two are easy
Nick Mazikov
Wow, this all sounds really helpful. You've written about how to increase your productivity. And you can read about what will help you promote your startup much faster on our blog🤩
Shon Paunan
Very nice insights, thank you!
Vedran Rasic
@sharon_paunan thanks Sharon! Which one is your fav/still easy to implement?
Jason Andries
Great tips, Vedran. Thanks for sharing, I'll definitely keep them in mind!
Vedran Rasic
@jason_andries1 thanks Jason! Which # are the top 3?
Ana Maria Ghita
I like this one "Have an object that helps you to decompress... I have an electric guitar + an amp." I have an instrument as well
Vedran Rasic
@ana_maria_ghita which instrument do you have/play? :)
Ana Maria Ghita
@vedranrasic Let's call it a mini-instrument. It's called a harmony ball that I got from Bali. It's like a stress ball, but will magical sounds. Here is how it sounds like:
Launching soon!
Working from home can be more difficult for those who need to be more self-disciplined and organized. It can be challenging to stay organized and manage time working from home. The points you have highlighted are really helpful.
Vedran Rasic
@qudsia_ali I can relate :)) this is especially difficult for managerial / sales positions that are typically having lots of interruptions... for builders / product roles this is much better. Less distractions. More time to focus. Right?
Jayesh Soni
Great post !! All points noted
Vedran Rasic
@jayesh_soni1 thx Jay! Which one will get implemented? :)
Imtiyaz
Maintaining a healthy work-life balance is more important than ever, especially since the pandemic has caused many people to work from home more frequently. Thank you for sharing your insights and experiences. I hope these tips are helpful to others looking to establish healthy boundaries while working from home.
Vedran Rasic
@imtiyaz922 I heard from many professionals that we underrate the effects of the pandemic. And we should work on our balance more than ever before.
Mahtab Khan
Wow great ideas and tips for work form home and few points having in my mind also. Generator on Hire in Delhi NCR Generator on Hire in Bahadurgarh
Rafaat Ahmed
"11. It's OK not to be productive." - THIS! I stressed out about too many project details/tasks/kanbans in 2022. You try to do many things but produce little output. Adds more to that stress. I am trying to narrow it down to one deliverable every week.
Vedran Rasic
@rafaat_ahmed Rafaat if you are able to deliver one valuable thing every week that's already better than 80% of people in my mind. At least healthier.
Geetanjali Shrivastava
Great list @vedranrasic - but I think my favourite was the conclusion: "I don't believe in a work-life balance. Yikes! You are YOU (and should be!), wherever you are at work or home." 🔥
Vedran Rasic
@geetanjalishrivastava many said that indeed! Agreed we all wanna do what we love and enjoy doing. So it resonates. 🙏
Ann Fibe
Thanks. It was amazing! Lookk here https://elise.com.ua/razbor-igry... how to increase the chances
Anoir Houmou
These are great tips! I will implement some of these into my WFH routine.
Bjarn Bronsveld
I agree with all of these points, really, this list is one of the best one I've seen so far. It's realistic, useful and easy to apply. Wishing everyone a great 2023 with these tips!
Vedran Rasic
@bjarnbronsveld thanks a lot Bjarn! I like that you say that it's realistic. I truly hope it is for many. May you have a great 2023! Cheers
Alex Rasic
I like the visual split between the office/living room by changing your shoes brilliantly! :) Also working from a coffee shop every once in a while gives me some stimuli to create better. Thanks for these! Happy NY
VibeThemes
Great thoughts. I play flute whenever I get stressed. I realised I have gained skills while playing flute. Great for stress busting. Going to try the shoe thing !
Sakshi Gahlawat
Thanks for the tips Vedran!