I'm building a personal finances management app. Do you have any suggestions?

Pavel Keyzik
5 replies
Hey everyone! I'm building a personal finances management application. I'm planning to have the ability to create wallets, something like a debit card or a place you store money. I'm also thinking about different types of wallets, like regular, or saving. The most problematic place for me is the functionality to add Income because I want to have the ability to split my income by different wallets. For example, I've got a salary and want to add this as income, but I also want to send 15% to savings, or 25% to some specific wallet. If you have any suggestions on how to do this, I'd be happy to hear that from you. I think the main issue here is that I'll need to have some exchange rate as different wallets can have different currencies and UX will be quite complex. I really want to make it as simple as it can be. If you have any feature you wish to have in that type of application, then let me know as well 😉 Do you have any personal finance management app you're using? Let me know what you like and don't like about it.

Replies

Patrick Prasquier
Hi Pavel. What a nice endeavor! I remember looking for such a solution for the past 25 years and never being able to settle on one in particular, as each of them lacked an important feature. Hopefully, yours might solve the issue! Regarding your wallets, I'd suggest making them purely virtual. So, instead of "sending" part of your income to such or such wallet, you would just "allocate" it. The money would stay in the account where it actually is (the representation of you bank account, probably). But you would have the ability to tag the unallocated amount to a specific wallet. The exchange rate would play at the level of your wallet, not of your account. The account only knows its own currency.
Pavel Keyzik
@patrick_prasquier Sure! By wallets, I meant just something virtual. I call it a wallet but in reality, money can be in the closet in your paper envelope 😄 I'm not going to have some integration with your banking account, everything will be added manually. Think of it like Google Sheets, but with the interface focused on personal finances. May I ask you about lacked the important features you mentioned before? I think your feedback can be valuable to me. Any app that you really love, but wish you have some specific feature? I save all people's feedback and analyze it to make sure I'm building something useful.
Patrick Prasquier
@pavel_keyzik 😄 I knew that. What I meant by a virtual wallet was from an accounting perspective: something that doesn't behave like a regular account in the sense that it doesn't require an actual debit/credit set of transactions. The software that I used the most was MS Money. What I liked about it and couldn't find anywere else was the fact that I could BOTH work with future transactions (which weren't reflected yet on my bank account) and with past ones that I didn't enter myself (and were retrieved from my bank statement). Other apps were either declarative (they only knew what I had explicitly entered) or only knew what they had downloaded from the bank.
Daisie Margot
auditing accounting firms is a great way to build a personal finances management app. There are many auditing accounting firms out there, but not all of them are created equal. Some auditing accounting firms are more reputable than others, and some auditing accounting firms charge more for their services. However, auditing accounting firms that are more expensive often provide better service and have more experience. When choosing an auditing accounting firm, it is important to do some research to make sure that you are getting the best possible service. Once you have found a reputable auditing accounting firm, they can help you build a personal finances management app that is tailored to your specific needs. https://hrss.cpa/