Hunters! Facebook is launching 'Threads'... Here's why you should be on it first

Cyril Gupta
21 replies
What can you do with half the staff and a low budget? Ship a social network of course! Meta’s Metaverse was an abject failure and Zuckerberg won’t even mention it anymore. So they are looking for other ways to grow and the only obvious way it seems, is to re-invent in a red ocean. 👉 Why is Facebook launching a Twitter rival anyway? So Facebook/Instagram is coming out with a Twitter rival. It’s called ‘Threads’ (any ideas where they got the name from?). Threads is going to be available from Thursday and it hopes to do right many of the things that Twitter is doing wrong. The goal is to establish a ‘sanely run’ social media site. I think Facebook is beginning with a bad assumption – political differences are enough to fuel a new business. A big number of Twitter publishers feel alienated because they don’t get the shelter or patronage anymore from Twitter. They are going to be early adopters, but will the audience move? I am not sure. 👉 … But every similar attempt before this failed Google tried to make another Facebook in Google+. We all remember how that ended. Every social network has its own distinct characteristic. - Facebook is for long-form posts. - Instagram is for pictures - YouTube is for long-form videos - TikTok is for short videos And Twitter is for quick content. There have been so many experiments to try and go into other markets, but nearly everything has failed. Is hate for Twitter enough to overcome all of that and bring success to Threads? I am not convinced. What do you think? 👉 What it means for us marketers As a marketer I want to go where the audience is, no matter where it is. There is a phenomenon about social networks – Early adopters call the shots. My mother (Nishamadhulika) got on YouTube in 2011, before anyone else and kept creating content consistently. Now she has an audience of 13.7 Million subscribers on YouTube. You can’t put down a content creator that gets on a network early and creates quality content consistently. 👉 Here’s what I am going to do regardless of whether I believe Threads is any good or it can succeed. Create my Threads account Start re-posting my Twitter content with a little adaptation Start connecting with fellow creators It’s a low-investment, low-commitment strategy for now. Most of my content will come from Twitter and it’ll take just a few clicks more to get it on Threads. 👉 What’s your strategy for Threads? Will you be on early, or are you going to wait?

Replies

Jay Phelps
Thank you for sharing, this is excellent news for everyone.
Ruby Martin
Have you heard the exciting news about Facebook launching Threads? Check out this awesome discussion on Product Hunt to discover why being an early adopter is a game-changer! 💡🚀
Hashnimo
Good luck getting that Zucker to do many of the things right that Twitter is doing wrong. 🎉
Cyril Gupta
@hashnimo Ha ha! Yeah, after what Zuck did to FB and then with Meta... I am not sure he's got the same focus anymore.
Kaitlyn Render
Very interesting! thank you for sharing it with us
Very curious about the platform already!
Lavanya Snigdha
From Twitter putting limits on how many tweets can be read on a free account to a new Twitter alternative. Sometimes we really do come full circle.
Samir Tushar
After reading this, I will.
Ash
I’m not sure this is going to help the political divide. It will probably polarize it even more as Threads and Twitter will become echo chamber. Also, people are burned out of Zucks antics. Will it succeed? Time will tell but I’m expecting an L.
Heleana Grace
Threads definitely sounds like it can become the next big thing. I'm super excited to create an account myself when it launches and test it out.