How to get more productive and avoid procrastination?

Moon
40 replies
Hi there! Sometimes I feel bored while working. Share your thoughts and give me some tips and tricks to avoid procrastination and become more active.

Replies

Ryan Ong
Stop using a todo list and put everything on the calendar.
Abid Unnisa
Remember why you started!
Hossein Yazdi
I also sometimes feel the same, however, I think being active in the PH community, and seeing how other makers are working on their products and their promotion, can be motivational.
Joseph Abraham
Distractions are the devil when it comes to getting things done. I mean, who hasn't fallen down a YouTube rabbit hole at least once? So turn off those notifications, close those unnecessary tabs, and find yourself a little slice of quiet heaven to work in. Take breaks. Yes, you heard me right. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but stepping away from your work for a little while can actually boost your productivity. Just make sure you use that time wisely, whether it's taking a walk or indulging in a little guilty pleasure Accountability is key. Share your goals and progress with someone else who can help keep you on track. It could be your best friend, your mom, or even your pet goldfish. Just make sure they know what's at stake (world domination, obviously) and you'll be good to go.
Moon
@saasfellow Thanks for sharing! I will try definitely
Nabeel Z.
I struggled with procrastination for years. It was a vicious cycle of feeling overwhelmed and avoiding the work that needed to be done. But through trial and error, I discovered some effective strategies for overcoming this challenge. Here's what I learned: 1. Setting clear goals is key to staying focused and motivated. 2. Breaking down larger goals into smaller, achievable tasks helps to make progress more manageable. 3. Eliminating distractions, such as notifications on my phone, has been crucial to staying on task. 4. Taking breaks to rest and recharge actually increases productivity in the long run. 5. Being kind to myself and avoiding self-criticism has been instrumental in maintaining my motivation and avoiding burnout. By consistently applying these strategies, I've been able to increase my productivity and overcome my procrastination tendencies.
Amal Abdullaev
As a startup founder, I know how challenging it can be to maintain productivity and avoid procrastination. Here are some strategies that have worked for me: Firstly, it is important to set clear goals. This helps you to stay focused and motivated towards achieving your objectives. Make sure that your goals are specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and time-bound. Secondly, create a daily schedule or routine that includes all your tasks and activities. This will help you stay organized and focused on what needs to be done. Try to prioritize the most important tasks and tackle them first thing in the morning when you have the most energy and focus. Thirdly, avoid distractions as much as possible. This means turning off notifications on your phone or computer, closing unnecessary tabs on your browser, and finding a quiet place to work if possible. If you find yourself easily distracted by social media, consider using an app or browser extension to limit your time on those sites. Finally, take breaks regularly to prevent burnout and maintain your energy levels. You can try taking a short walk, doing some stretching exercises, or even just taking a few deep breaths. Remember to give yourself permission to take breaks without feeling guilty or unproductive.
Pleasure Meditation
Hi Moon. GREAT question. My problem is that I am realizing that I'm FAR more creative at finding ways to rationalize, enhance and enjoy my procrastination(s), than I ever am when doing "real" tasks. lol.
Ryan Tando - Dezbor.com
Been with procastination problems for years rwad many books, out of all methods here are my suggestions: - Reduce / Limit your distraction while working - Change your habit (you can read atomic habbit to reduce bad habbits) - Schedule and prioritize your goals into small chunks - Remember, its ok to enjoy some leisure time
Alex Espinoza
Yes, this is me. Staying focused can be hard, and I can get easily distracted. I've found what works for me is using a 25 minute pomodoro timer to create bursts of productive time. I also block access to HN, PH, Reddit, and other websites that distract me during this time. Personally, I use a mac app called Focus to do this (https://heyfocus.com/) but there are other tools and browser extensions that can help you with this. These small windows of focused productivity help a lot, and sometimes I chain these windows together as I find I'm getting a lot done and into a flow state and want to keep it going. Good luck!
Arpan
Meditate, helps in having control over mind!
Indu Thangamuthu
Just keep swimming...daily.
Indu Thangamuthu
@moon10 To stop procrastinating, you don't have to swim the same length all day... you just have to push yourself to swim daily... and the rest will come naturally. That's what I learned from Dory.
Divya
Make schedules and to-do lists. Assign yourself tasks.
Akhil Mittra
To raise productivity and minimize procrastination, I would create a daily to-do list using simple applications like Microsoft To-do, including timings and dates. Turn off all distractions during workdays like OTT services, videos from TikTok, Instagram, etc. (unless it's part of your job). When performing the task, it also helps to think of results from completion like monetary rewards & long-term gains like global recognition and solving a real-world problem.
Akhil Mittra
Additionally, you can treat any work or assignments you get at the office like homework you used to get from school that you really want to finish immediately so you can enjoy your upcoming weekend. That will be another motivating factor if you don't want to leave it till the last minute.
Brenna Donoghue
I get it. I think we all have days like this. I'm such a big fan of blocking time for a focused piece of work, identifying some small actions needed to start the work, and then just forcing the first step. I find once I get going it's so much easier, but taking that first small step is the hardest. Also sleep. The more tired I am, the more I find I lean into procrasination.
Rana Ahmed Waheed
Procrastination is not always a good thing. When it becomes a habit, it can really affect our careers and our lives. So, how do we get rid of it? The first thing is to realize that the procrastination is just a habit and we can change it. We can train ourselves to be more productive, and one way to change this habit is to keep a record of what we have done. We can use a calendar or an online calendar/app to keep track.
Carter Michael
Developing some routines that you enjoy could really help. I find the thing that helps me out the most is having a plan before I start, tend to make them the day before.