How To Find a Mentor : A Short Guide

Joseph Natoli
3 replies
Hello Hunters! πŸ‘‹ So, we are told all the time that having a mentor can accelerate your skills and business as fast as sonic grabs those golden rings. But rarely is it ever discussed how to easily find a mentor, approach them, and get them onto your side! This is not an easy thing, but I have an approach that had recently netted me potential mentor meetings within a day of approaching them. Some guidelines: 1) You must present yourself professionally on Linkedin. If you do not have a professionally photographed image of yourself on your page, please restrain from approaching anyone until you do. Get a professional headshot NOW! 2) You should have some sort of business founded or a fully-developed product made. You do not need customers or to even be launched, but without this key step, you also don't know who you need to approach. 3) You need to know how to talk to people, so that if, and when, you do get a call, you are likeable. I can not teach you this, but soft skills like the ability to read social cues and generally being nice goes a long way. Improv / Acting Classes or some sort of regular in-person participation in group activities can help you with this. Now for the advice: 1) The Search. I used Linkedin to discover people who I was targeting. I am in the hardware space, specifically for consumers. So I just went over to Linkedin and started searching for people with "consumer hardware" in their profile, in addition to "director", "VP", "president", "CEO", etc. I am a CEO myself so I need high-level executives who understand the game. As an example, If you are working as a UX designer, try to find someone ahead of you in their career, or shoot for the stars and go for the CEO of the design firm... whatever you want really. 2) The Strategy. Once you identify a few targets, review their background to really make sure you think they will fit. It is much like finding investors, do your diligence. 3) The Approach. Once your Linkedin profile is looking good (remember your professional picture) click "Connect" on their profile and you are going to "add a note" with a variation on the following note: "Hello {Their Name}, {Your Name} Here! Given your background in {Their Vertical}, I was curious if you are against advising or mentoring early stage startups? I am a/the {Your Position} of a {Their Vertical} startup and looking for extra support from experienced leaders. Let me know! I'd love to connect." Almost every person I approached at least connected. Some didn't understand the construct of what I was looking for and thought they would be a paid consultant, however most have been open to at least a conversation. I will note that with your mentor you should be looking for a kind of friend. You want them there for good conversations that also result in strategy for you, and growth for them. Be very clear about this when they ask what you are looking for! And that is it... I put this to use over the last week and have had one extremely promising connection and three more calls in the pipeline, so I can verify it works. AMA if you'd like!

Replies

Augustine Asiuwhu
Hey Joseph Spot on with this article! Mentorship is important in life, as it gives you an upper advantage in life. There are few places you can find, book, and get mentorship online, but one of the best I have seen in recent times is https://www.joinveet.com/ Veet is a community-driven platform where people can find, book, and meet mentors around the world. Learn from the world’s best mentors. https://www.joinveet.com/
Joseph Natoli
@augustine_asiuwhu Thanks for the share! My advice here is really meant for finding business mentors (though it can be for anything) and something like Veet can help someone find vetted mentors without having to the research. I wish you luck and will both sign-up to be a mentor (as I feel I have plenty to offer) and also search for mentors too. Happy to help you in any way and congrats on the product!
Joseph Natoli
Happy to take your questions in the comments! :D