How to completely screw up a successful product πŸ˜€

Ahmed Saleh
10 replies
When I was 18 years old, I launched a photo editing app called Photo Magik. It was early in the AppStore days. It was considerably better than Instagram, the uncontested photo editing leader at that time. My app topped Instagram in rank & downloads in 80 countries. Here's how I completely screwed it up. Steps: 1. Recruit a bad team. This is easy to do, and hard to undo. It will help you hate working on your product and will surely cause poor productivity. 2. Never talk to your customers. After all, they don't know how to build things. They are muggles in the world of creating. You surely know best and will enjoy building useless features. 3. Offer no customer support whatsoever. It's only an app after all. It costs only a few bucks to purchase. Who could possibly want any support, or have any questions? 4. Last but not least, focus on monetization. Monetization must come before retention. Now, I won't be too hard on myself. The app grew way faster than I was growing myself, and I was barely 18. And I had no one around me to guide me on funding, or startups. But, that experience ignited something in me about startups to this day. But it's fun to think back. Instagram must've had a bit of scare seeing how fast my app grew, and they must've been so happy to see it go down after that. Little did they know who was behind it πŸ˜€. Now I build classtra (https://classtra.org), an all-in-one, A.I. powered live academy platform to help academies and instructors conduct engaging live sessions. Check us out.

Replies

Anna Mandziuk πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦
It is probably the first story like that that I've seen on PH! And I loooove the way you wrote it:) So cool and brave of you to share this story! I feel awful when my idea doesn't go the way I expect, so hearing stories from makers sharing their journeys is inspirational. And I believe that your insights are going to be truly valuable to other startupers P.S. Sometimes I think that IG also doesn't really talk to their customers because something is really wrong with my (and my friends') explore feed a lot of the timeπŸ˜…
Ahmed Saleh
@anna_mandziuk Thank you! Glad you like the writing πŸ˜€. It was intended to be a bit funny ^__^. Yeah feeling bad is natural as long as you keep going despite that feeling. P.S. Let's add LinkedIn to that list too. My feed there sucks too
Launching soon!
I believe mistakes are blessings in disguise. They help us come back stronger and better. You were far ahead then and even now. I wish you success with classtra.
Muhammad Awais
It is good to see that you did not get demotivated but rather bounced back with much force.
Muhammad Awais
You have come up with a great idea. I have tried it and clearly can see the difference. Nice product. Much appreciated and uvoted.
Ahmed Saleh
@muhammad_awais9 Thanks a lot! Glad you liked it and appreciate your feedback. There's a great article by Paul Graham on startup ideas and why it's seems so hard to find a good one. I only discovered that years later. But I do recommend it (it crossed my mind when you mentioned good ideas)
Inam from Outgrow
Bad internal communication