How much time do you spend on hobbies?

Ksusha
99 replies
Last 5 years my job was my hobby. And then I felt burning out emotionally. Thats why now I decided to do tennis, dancing and painting apart from work. I’m wondering how much time is okay for that.

Replies

Juilee Mahimkar
Absolutely relatable @ksusha_golovchenko !🥹 I am an illustrator and Designer and since my hobby is my profession, sometimes it's really difficult to draw a line between work and pleasure and make art for myself. And this got kind of worse during pandemic ☹️ as the activities that I used to do for myself like going out for movies, swimming, and visiting my library, all came to an halt. I then tried to develop other hobbies like stitching, learning new language and more of dancing and reading📚 The time actually varies a lot depending on my office and freelance schedule but I try my best to dedicate a 20-40mins daily. Then it can be any activity per day. I have like- Tuesdays and Thursdays- Dance💃🏻 Saturdays- Stitching 🧵 (which my mum teaches me🥰) Reading- I usually do it almost everyday in morning while or before I have my breakfast for like 20-30 mins I think any time duration in which you feel totally at peace doing that activity should be fine.❤️ After all, its a hobby and should not become a forceful task.💫
Varun Kodnani
Sorry to know about this @ksusha_golovchenko. In my opinion, spending time on weekends on pursuing hobbies is a great way to recharge for work. My hobbies are playing and watching football, F1, movies and tv shows.
Ksusha
@varun_kodnani do you work and relax during weekdays, ya?
Varun Kodnani
@ksusha_golovchenko Yeah I do. I try to cut off from all work related activities once I'm back from my office. I usually spend time watching movies, listening to music or pampering my 2 cute pugs when I'm back home!
Pip
If you can turn your hobbies into a financially rewarding profession then you have found your ultimate success. If you work for necessity, it will always burn you out. Find leverage, don't involve emotions in your work. Ultimately, only you can find your balance.
Chris Davis
This is a wonderful question. I spend virtually zero time on hobbies anymore and I’m actively working on increasing that to at least 10% of the time. So if there are 168 hours in a week, it would break down to something like the following in an ideal world: - 50+ hours of sleep - 50 hours of work - 20 hours of friends and family - 20 hours of adulting - 20 hours of hobbies/solo fun Historically, I have managed to turn hobbies into potential businesses which, in turn, sucks the fun out of them. Going forward, I’m going to spend more time: - Involved in sports, namely basketball and tennis (both playing, and going down the rabbit hole of studying the pros and learning fun facts/stats) - Learning to produce and dj (particularly lo-fi and techniques like screwed and chopped) - Cooking - Reading/listening to fiction (I’m starting with all the John Grisham novels I’ve missed over the years)
Chris Davis
I spend time today doing things like binging tv/movies and mindlessly scrolling twitter (which are fun in their own right and have a place, don’t get me wrong!) but I count those separately from work or hobbies — realistically, those sort of things would eat into the sleep and adulting allotments listed above.
Ksusha
@imchrisdavis wow! such a detailed response! Thank you, very interesting
Chris Davis
@ksusha_golovchenko ha, yeah be sure to squeeze it in
Utku Uzun
I have been playing guitar for 12 years. It's my best friend in my time of need. Anytime I feel stressed, just take it and blow off some steam! 🤘🤘
Ksusha
@utkuuzun good! How much time a month you feel stressed?😆
Florian Hidayat
@utkuuzun hey Utku! not to advertise or anything, but since you said playing guitar as your go-to hobby, I thought it'd be fitting to mention. My startup has been working on an app for guitar players, would love for you to try it out! 😀
Martina Hackbartt
So little that I don't think I gave myself the time to discover my hobbies😂
Martina Hackbartt
@ksusha_golovchenko Since I'm still a student, my time is usually distributed between work and my studies. So I'd say studying is my hobby! haha. I also try to take 1-2 1-hour german lessons a week. That'd also count!
Ksusha
@martina_hackbartt So cool! Yeah, I think studies is a good hobby. At least you think not about work, but about other things
Rehan Choudhry
I had a ton of hobbies in my 20s and early 30s. Now, spending time with my two young kids and partner are my non-work hobbies. I'll probably pick up my guitar or skateboard again when I'm 50.
Neha Dadhich
@rehan_choudhry1 I do not have kids but have nephews and nieces. I can relate with your comment, but am blessed that now am doing something for my Hobbies.
Dhravya Shah
I generally try to play the guitar whenever I take a break from programming, or there's a really annoying bug i've spent hours trying to fix. It adds upto 1-2 hours a day, which I think is perfect. What motivates me to keep playing the guitar is simply just the habit, code doesn't work? Play guitar. I think that's the perfect leverage
Ksusha
@dhravya does it help you to fix bugs?😄
Rich Watson
Not as much as I'd like unfortunately.
Florian Hidayat
Spend however much time that you think is enough on your hobbies, just try to find the right balance. If your weekdays are too full, spend a day on the weekend to relax/do your hobbies.
Demi Jones
Honestly, not enough I have been meaning to devote more time into doing something I enjoy.
Ksusha
@lysten_inc what doesn't let you to do that? job?
Victor Zhang
I love tennis too! playing tennis help me greatly with pressure management. I played about 5-8 hours per week.
Bhavna Singh
I am trying to build up some new hobbies like yoga and meditation, I have been practicing these for last few days and trying to inculcate the same in my daily life. I usually give 2hrs daily for this activity and I can feel the positivity in myself.
Ksusha
@bhav_singh wow! u do that every day?
Neha Dadhich
@bhav_singh I was also thinking for Basic Yoga for positivity and to feel good but not started yet. Will try to do as soon as possible. Hopefully, i will do.
Bhavna Singh
@ksusha_golovchenko yes it was actually hard in the starting and even I was not regular at times but just staying in the motion of it makes it work for me.
Neha Dadhich
Previously I was used to give my most of the time to my Office work and homework only but nowadays I am doing drawing and I have a youtube channel too, I like creative things and I can say happily that I am giving enough time to my hobby but yes can't say specific time but yes at least half-hour in weekdays and then depends on other work.
Neha Dadhich
Even deciding something is one step closer to a goal, and I think even some minutes in a day for your hobbies can give you happiness, it's a good decision @ksusha_golovchenko. All the best!
Harsh Siriah
I usually try to work out daily because it helps me relax and take my mind off work. I sometimes spend an hour or two after work playing video games or cooking some new dish as I love cooking. On weekends I spend most of the time relaxing, catching up with some TV shows, and playing some games with my family and friends, and on Sundays, I either play badminton for at least 2 hours or try to go for a long drive.
Neha Dadhich
@harsh_siriah1 Cooking is a win-win situation because it will help family members too and be good for us too as we are doing as our hobby. I also like cooking but sometimes it becomes a task too. I am also thinking of Yoga but have not started yet. by the way, I tried lots of exercises but failed badly.
Shraddha Falane
@neha_dadhich you should try yoga, It's a great way to stay energetic and fresh
Harsh Siriah
@neha_dadhich I can relate to the fact that sticking with one type of exercise is very difficult! I have dropped multiple activities myself! But I think the key is to find people who you can do those activities with which will in turn make it into a fun time that you would not get bored of. I personally have different friends for these different activities and it is really nice because it acts as a motivation for me to meet those people and catch up with them and exercise at the same time!
Harsh Siriah
@shraddha_falane1 I agree! Yoga is very relaxing and it helps improve your quality of life significantly!
Neha Dadhich
@shraddha_falane1 Agree, that's why I thought about it.
Ganesh Chavan
1 to 2 hours time in a day is okay to spend on hobbies. If possible do spend some time on hobbies, it intention help in mental relaxation. I also love dancing and drawing but am not able to give time daily.
Isha B
I don't get long free hours throughout the week, so I usually spend the weekends on my hobbies. I paint/sketch or go trekking. I also try to practice the violin as much as possible, even if it's only a few hours a week. For the past few months, I haven't once opened my laptop on the weekends; feels refreshing.
Anna Mandziuk 🇺🇦
I haven't devoted much time to my hobbies since February, because I've started volunteering a lot. However, before, I would spend 1-2 hours on a working day for that, and 2-3 on weekends
Anna Mandziuk 🇺🇦
@ksusha_golovchenko Painting, reading, dancing, and makeup. All your usual stuff pretty much :) I also enjoyed going to the mountains with my family and friends, but that was a spring/summer activity
Anna Filou
If you’re asking “how much time is okay for that?” I’m afraid you might be missing the point of hobbies. We are over-structuring our days and it’s not worth it. Maybe for short periods, when you really need to focus to achieve a goal, but it’s not a sustainable lifestyle. I’m guilty of falling into that trap more often than not too. But I can’t imagine limiting and optimizing the activities that bring us joy could lead to a happy, fulfilling life.