How many hours per day did you spend on communities to acquire your first 100 users?

Cyrus
7 replies
I am launching soon and am spending a lot of time in communities in Reddit and Discord to find my first 100 users. It is veery tome consuming and honestly has not been working well for me. How much time did you or are you spending on these communities for pre-launch?

Replies

Imtiyaz
Reddit can be a great way to reach your target audience, but you have to be careful not to promote your product too directly. If you contact the right people and post in the right communities, you can get a lot of good feedback and advice. I can't say for sure how much time it would take to reach 100 people through Reddit, but it is definitely possible.
Madhuri
@imtiyaz922 do you have any pointers on how to do it correctly? I feel like I keep wandering around with very little progress, also a little hesitant about doing unsolicited DMs.
Rich Watson
I can't say how many hours, but we had our Discord for 3-4 months leading up the beta release of our app. our app is functional through a Discord bot, so once we reached out to a few servers to see if they would like to use it the platform started to grow itself. 9 months later we have almost 1900 signups and almost 1300 discord servers with the bot.
Cyrus
@richw Can you plz give a little bit more details. Did you created your own server? Or did you just reach out to the admins in other servers? How active are you? Do you just reply to every message where you think you can add value? How does it work actually?
Rich Watson
@ruddy So we have our own server, and in the beginning we would pay promoters to join other similar servers to send users DM's with our promo message. But this isn't ideal, and can be seen as spammy. When we first released our bot we just built up hype within our server and users either requested it in servers they were in, or there were server owners in ours watching what we were building. We also reached out to other servers that would benefit from it or might like it, and that's how we got more. But I found reaching out to servers didn't go well, most thought we were trying to sell something or spam/scam, so it was best when it cme from users or them seeing it for themselves- which is what happens after it slowly starts being added and used in servers, other server owners see it and then add it. Then when it starts to grow like that and being used, new users signup to also use it because they find an interest in it.
Cyrus
@richw tnx for your explanation. I guess launching your own server makes more sense, specially since Discord is still "new" and the competition is not that high. I'll look into it. tnx
Anoir Houmou
Hey Cyrus, I', still working on it and it consumes most of my day. I'd say Slack is pretty good for community building alongside Twitter. When are you planning on launching?