How has AI impacted education and learning?

Stephen
7 replies

Replies

Heather Smith
It’s a tool! We should all use it masterfully! Critical thinking is key to using AI effectively! To know when it’s helping you or guiding you down a slippery slope.
Anees Iqbal
Many ed-tech companies or startups are rushing to make use of the latest AI tech to see how it can work for their learners and educators, I've seen the most interesting product from Khan Academy so far. Here's a video by Sal Khan explaining how it works:
It's an AI assistant that doesn't just give you answers straight up, but pushes you and enables you to learn on your own and find the answers. Based on my experience working as a founding engineer in an ed-tech startup (Schoolhouse.world) -- one on one attention for learners is crucial in enabling the development of the unique needs of each person. While this new AI integration by Khan Academy isn't quite the human touch, it's a good middle ground. I think it'll enable a lot more people to learn a lot better.
Lior Amsalem
On a personal experience it helps me a lot. specially context switching and "idle" tasking. BUT it's important to remember AI text-with-confident! and will make stuff up!
Valorie Jones
A lot of people think that AI will just be a crutch or a "cheat" that students will use to write papers - but it can build skills to be better writers and speakers. One the basic tenant of education is to start small with the training wheels on. The as you learn, you slowly rely on the wheels less and less. In the case, of AI, I use Grammarly all the time, to identify issues in my writing - where I less confident in my text. However, it also is helping me identify some common mistakes that I keep falling into and gradually I am recognizing them myself. The new generation of generative AI will be able to give even better feedback, the key will be engineering the learning curve, so the AI training wheels fade into the background, and you stand (mostly) on your own.
Brianna Swartz
Companies have been using AI for years, despite the way the story is being framed in 2023. For instance: - https://www.hindawi.com/journals... It has gone through different iterations, notably during remote learning in 2020/21: - https://analyticsindiamag.com/ho... I agree with Dr. Jones that treating it as one of many tools in our education toolbox is the best way to frame it. Like anything else, if we ask thoughtful, strategic questions, center students and learning over profit, and take a communal vs. individualistic "me first" approach... good will come of it.
Tammy Martin
AI has profoundly transformed education and learning by offering personalized learning experiences, optimizing teaching methodologies, and enhancing educational accessibility. Through AI-powered adaptive learning platforms, students can receive customized learning paths tailored to their individual needs, pace, and learning styles. Moreover, AI facilitates real-time feedback, allowing educators to identify areas of improvement and adjust teaching strategies accordingly. Additionally, AI-driven tools aid in content creation, curation, and delivery, enriching educational materials and making learning more engaging and interactive. Furthermore, AI has played a pivotal role in promoting inclusivity in education by providing resources and support to students with diverse learning needs. Platforms like https://www.ideiasinteligentes.com/ exemplify how AI technologies are revolutionizing education by offering innovative solutions to challenges in teaching and learning, ultimately fostering a more effective and accessible educational landscape.
Hayley Marlo
AI has changed education a lot. And I think it's good that such technologies are getting more and more experimented into the educational sphere. It may transform the process, make different platforms better and provide more of quality information and skills faster. Of course, AI can also be used for other things, but if you're a responsible student, you will use it only in the right way. For example, I have problems with writing sometimes, and because I write fast, I have a lot of mistakes. Some time ago, I started using this tool https://chat.openai.com/g/g-a0ULgFcuZ-essay-helper to get help with my papers, I mean proofreading help, and it helped me to improve my grades. I think it's amazing that you can get such quality help within minutes. It is one of the examples of how AI can help with the educational process.