How do you stay focused all day while working remotely?

Odin Enes Ozlen
11 replies
We closed our office last month but I am very distracted when I am not in the office… I never worked remotely, always at the office.

Replies

Michael Moss
I use time blocking to stay focused throughout the day. That means dividing my day into blocks, each block with a task I have to do that day. Then I only focus on that 1 thing for how ever many hours I have set aside to it in the block. I also always always always do the most brain-energy-consuming task in the morning, before I get distracted by multiple input during that day. I think it's really important to have a start and end time to tasks in order for everything to not to bleed into each other, because you can easily end up with nothing really being finished properly at the end of the day. With time blocking it's also easier to track how much you actually get done. At the end of the day I review tasks I didn’t finish + new tasks that have come in and adjust the time blocks for the rest of the week. That being said, we're launching our AI video editing platform here on Product Hunt soon and we're still a start-up, so new tasks are coming in left and right all throughout the day and sometimes it can't wait for later so I will have to ignore tasks in my block that day. But then I still review at the end of the day and adjust the coming days accordingly :)
Aaron O'Leary
I don't stay focused all day! I take regular small breaks to have a coffee or relax, that helps a ton with getting large stints of work done. I use a Pomodoro task timer to get a portion of my large tasks done per day each week.
Justin Schmidt
1. Substitute the commute. 2. Dress for success. 3. Don't let old habits die. 4. The deafening silence. 5. Set objectives for yourself.
Joan Mateo Duarte 🚀
Change of sceneries. Have a place where you focus more and another that is more relaxed. You can divide your hours as you please between the two places. After a while, you are going to get accustomed and in the place, you focus more you are not going to get distracted.
Anastasiia Zvenigorodskaia
I use Notion for planning all my tasks and do several breaks in a day
Odin Enes Ozlen
@anastasiia_z thank you, do you have a special Notion template?
Pavel Kukhnavets
You just need a good scheduler, task manager, reporting system, and collaboration platform - all in one place. Have you tried to use something like Wrike or Asana? Perhaps you've heard about GanttPRO - an online Gantt chart maker. All these tools assists in working in office and remotely and boosting productivity.