How do you plan your workday?

Pinar Engur
22 replies
How much time do you need to plan a workday? Daily, weekly, or monthly?

Replies

Margen Stepa
I use Sunday to overview the past week and plan the upcoming one
Margen Stepa
@technufllc that’s part of my rest time 😆 I keep my time organized in order to have more rest time otherwise it will be a non stop work
Nuno Reis
I've done it in so many different ways :D Nowadaqys, it kinda plans itself through meetings and acting on the current roadmap we have, but I'd say the key point is: - Always be mindful of priorities and remove what isn't one.
Uma Venugopal
70% - tech work 10% - meetings/calls 10% - destressing 10% - side hustles
Kulsoom Awan
Daily works for me, as there are certain tasks which are unpredictable
Vladimir Malyavko
Difficult question. It is very difficult for me to plan. The best way to start planning - to drink a cup of coffee :)
Kulsoom Awan
@v_m10 after the cup of coffee, your brain automatically starts to plan the day and sometimes even the week
Binod T
I review any upcoming deadlines or meetings and plan my day around them.
Aphelia T.
@binod_t does it help you feel productive at the end of the day?
Aphelia T.
Once a month I go with a couple of main goals to achieve and then break the journey into several milestones with suitable tasks lists. I like the idea of categorizing by a) urgent and important; b) not urgent and important; 2) urgent and not important; 3) not urgent and not important. It helps to cut off and delegate some of the tasks, thus, focusing on what's important. My day includes the important and urgent tasks first, then b) and then if some time is left can spend it on learning new methods and techniques to improve the work results. And of course Timesheet [https://www.technuf.com/timesheet] helps to keep all the tasks and timing organized, thus, by the end of the week I have a clear picture what time I spent on which assignment and how it helped me get closer to the set goals.
Odin Enes Ozlen
I have tried many tools, including artificial intelligence ones, but I found the solution in simplicity. Now I only set three-step priorities and deadlines. I also have a secret that increases my productivity by 5x: managing my personal and work tasks in the same place. For example, the laundry task and the reply to an email task are one under the other. When I get bored with work, I finish a personal task and it is incredibly relaxing.
Ágh Helmut
It usually takes about 10 minutes every morning to plan my day, it's a part of my morning meditation. I just simply drag task cards between Kanban columns in Notion. Basically, all my workdays are planned according to the same template, just the tasks are different.
Stephen
I start early and make a list of priorities. Old school notebook tht I check off as the day goes by
Talia Basma
I plan as I go aka I have recurring tasks and meeting already marked on my Google Calendar and then if I think "Oh yeah I need to do this by X" I'll add it to a time on the calendar to work on as needed. If I feel I have "nothing to do" I look at any recurring tasks I can front load or any future assignments I can just do ahead of time.
sidwaz
That seems very useful for me thanks for posting it.
Wendy Olson
First thing in the morning, I make a list of everything I need to get done today, in order of priority and urgency.
I'm lucky to have a very flexible and independant position, so: 1. Catch up with slack/crisp chat. What happened while I was off etc. 2. Review yesterday. Fresh head, fresh ideas. 3. Plan yesterdays catch ups (PR comments etc.) and new iterations, bug fixes. 4. Check the roadmap and choose what I'm feeling like working on today.
MARIZSA
I plan weekly on sundays. I spend about 4 hours between 1-4 to prep for the week. I then iterate daily, usually end of day checking what I didn’t finish and migrating tasks into the next day. This approach works best for how I think and the level of work I have ahead of me and is my best effort/ method at this time.
Pavel Kukhnavets
Planning daily tasks becomes easier if you apply appropriate management tools. One of them is an online timeline that allows you to place tasks, define their dependencies, add milestones, and more. There are many tools for professional planning, including MS Project. Our team had been using it for two years and now we are enjoying an alternative to MS Project GanttPRO. This Gantt chart maker comes with a powerful set of features for managing daily tasks like a pro.