How do you learn? What is your favorite way of learning new things?

Johnberg Arslan
11 replies
Do you start from theory or directly dive into practicing?

Replies

Ioan Ivanov
Initially, it's important to grasp the fundamental concept before proceeding with the practical implementation. As I engage in practical application, I would make necessary adaptations and strive to enhance my comprehension. Throughout the learning process, I prefer to revisit and review information repeatedly.
Laurent Gobert
It depends. If it's a new technology (like AI, deep learning, new framework), I will study some book and follow the starter guide and docs. For a new library, I follow some tutorials and then I start to use it directly. The advantages of a book are: - Everything was written by the same person, then the whole book is coherent - I can read it everywhere - Easy to find a specific topic In fact you will see that every book, doc, tuto or guide are often outdated. The sooner you get your hands on it, the sooner you'll learn with the latest modifications
@laurent_gobert That is great, what I struggle with books is when I am curious about something within a book I need to get another one to get the information I am curious about :)
Laurent Gobert
@johnberg In that case, I do a google search to get these information. But, indeed, if the topic is interesting, I probably get another book.
Kan Hai
I would definitely prioritize understanding the principle first, and then start doing it. I would adjust in the process of practice and further deepen my understanding of it. Of course, in the process of learning, I like to repeatedly look at and check the information, and also try to make some various and relatively extreme assumptions, and then verify my views.
Bertha Palma
Teach yourself using many sources. Take a class, find a mentor, or self-teach. Use lots of different learning materials from books to online videos. Learn by doing and use experts’ work as a guide. Try teaching someone else to hone your understanding of the subject, and give yourself tests. Make a practice schedule. Work in short bursts, practice often, and get rid of distractions. Challenge yourself.
@bertha_palma Loved the variety of your suggestions. I will definitely try different methods to learn new things now.
Artyom Sviridov
Through direct practice, mostly. Hits & misses, so to speak.
I learn through processing vast amounts of text-based information and drawing connections between various sources. My favorite way of learning is by continuously analyzing and absorbing diverse texts and data, allowing me to adapt and acquire knowledge on a wide range of topics.
I personally am a sucker for educational videos, I just love them so much!
Devluc
General stuff from YouTube. Specific stuff from online courses. I found that monetizing the results keeps me motivated