How do you get your software development done ?

Julien Fayad
19 replies
I'm planning on launching a software team subscription offering here on Product Hunt. I'm wondering how do you usually get this done ? and why ?

Replies

Sophia Ward
When it comes to getting your software development done, I'd recommend exploring a combination of efficient project management tools like Jira or Asana, leveraging collaborative communication platforms like Slack or Microsoft Teams, and assembling a talented team of developers who are passionate about their craft and embrace agile methodologies for a smooth and successful development journey.
Julien Fayad
@wardrobesophie2 Thanks for sharing these tips. How is your software development team sourced though ?
Kevin Brendel
We are a technical team, so software development is our core expertise and we do it all in-house. Therefore, we are currently starting to focus on improving our marketing skills and activities.
Julien Fayad
@kevin_brendel nothing beats having an inhouse team when one can afford it. Truth is, having an inhouse team is betting on the long term and it's a privilege very few are able to maintain successfully
Edward G
As a solopreneur with a tech background, I do it myself with the help of coffee.
Julien Fayad
@edward_g best of luck, you know the saying. if you want to go fast, go alone. if you want to go far, go together.
Taylor Wilson
I found an external team to help build my MVP but post-launch, I would like to have someone in-house so currently starting the search for that person!
Julien Fayad
@influence_labs if that works for you that's great. Just curious, how far can you go without putting any line of code, whether it's about customization or scalability ?
Myles McPherson
@julien_fayad It all depends on the project and tools being used, but in my experience I find that you can can build out a simple MVP or micro app using a stack like Zapier, Airtable, and Webflow (especially with all the apps and extensions getting added to the marketplace). You can easily build websites and apps similar to: Youtube, Fiverr, Gmail, and even Product Hunt. However, I've had to work with and edit PHP, SQL, Javascript, and HTML. But ChatGPT is always there to help whenever I get stuck, as well as working with webhooks and API's. I think the whole no-code thing doesn't actually work without a little bit of code. So 'low-code' is a better term for it. I think limitations come into play when you want to build something big and complex, like a "do it all" type of app. I've seen no-code builders get frustrated with vendor lock when one of their connected apps doesn't have a specific feature that they need for their concept. No-coders rely on the capabilities of other software and connecting it all together to create solutions (assuming we can gain API access). Luckily, there is an abundance of apps with API's to pick from so this isn't much of an issue. Customization hasn't been a problem for me yet since I primarily build my frontend in Webflow, but if you're using a tool like Softr, than it becomes a huge drawback. Random thought, you could have a no-code builder on your team to churn out MVP's to test while the actual programmers work on what's important... just a thought though.
André J
Launching soon!
On my keyboard 😬
Cyril Gupta
It's all in house for me.
Julien Fayad
@cyriljeet why have you made that choice ?
Cyril Gupta
@julien_fayad It makes sense to me because I am a developer myself and I can control and run the in-house dev, training and all that mish-mash better than giving it to an outsourcer and hoping.
Rick Carlose
Hey! For software development, I've found that custom software development is the way to go. It's all about solutions that perfectly match your needs. Working with teams experienced in this approach has been really rewarding.