How do you do collaborations with other creators?

Anna Grigoryan
4 replies
I'm in the process of doing a lot of collaborations with other creators (writers, podcasters) and want to know how other people are doing it. How do you manage the workflow, how to do choose with whom to collaborate or not (if you get incoming request), how do you manage expectations? Would love to hear your stories!

Replies

Polina Gollender
When it comes to marketing partnerships, the key is to let creators do their thing. You don't want to micromanage or control their work — after all, you're collaborating with them because you trust their skills and knowledge. Instead, you should focus on setting clear goals and expectations for the partnership, and then letting the creators go to work. Of course, this doesn't mean that you can sit back and relax. You'll still need to monitor the progress of the project and provide feedback where necessary. But by giving creators the freedom to work their own magic, you'll often see better results than if you tried to take over.
Joonas HÀmÀlÀinen
To be honest, I'm currently struggling with all that. 😁 My collaboration would ideally be more technical, ie. programming, server related, hacking stuff etc. Problem is to find such people at all, who would have time (or interest) on doing anything with any other person than their own, or co-workers.
Daniyar Yeskaliyev
For choosing - depends on the topic. It's either their are very knowledgeable experts in their fields, or they have audience. Ideally, they should be both experts and great writer/speaker at the same time. For the workflow, I guess if you're the host, or the driver of that idea, you should take care of everything - picking time, creating meetings, recording, editing, publishing. For tools, not sure what writers use - probably Google Docs? For podcasters, Riverside is good enough to start with. Not perfect, has many counter-intuitive UI elements when it comes to EXPORTING the results of the collaboration, but overall it does the job. For collaborations on videos we've build our own tool - Castofly. @imanmoaz - our founder - is a YouTuber with thousands of subscribers, and has a network with other famous YouTube educators with millions of subs, and he wanted to build a simple tool for creating and collaborating on Videos. It's not the part of your question, but if you want to try Video Collabs - let me know, I'll help you set everything up (and it's really super easy). But for podcasts, try Riverside fm
Darwin Binesh
I track everything in Notion. Start by offering free features in the newsletter. Drop all their info into Notion and run it day by day. After a while, this explodes into a bit more. Once the collabs are paid, I use an agreement with simple bullet points so there's no confusion. I also set key terms around metrics and numbers to expect. When hiring influencers, I typically do a CPM agreement on a platform where I can also see the numbers (Instagram has been the biggest for me). I also choose who I work with because I don't want to send my subscribers scams. It's why I've never taken a crypto collaboration. The biggest thing to look out for is making sure you get all the things you need first - and then starting the work. Can write in the agreement "once A,B, and C are complete I will do 1, 2, 3." Hope that helps! Happy to chat if you have any questions or comments.