How do you decide what music to put on at work?

Florian Myter
20 replies
In our team we run a "rock, paper, scissor, well" contest every 4 hours or so to determine who gets to pick the music ... wondered how you all tackle this πŸ˜ƒ

Replies

Paul Richardson
I can't concentrate with any music, I like a silent environment.
Florian Myter
@paul_richardson I get you, depending on what I need to do it's either "absolutely no music" or "definitely music" for me
Igor Lysenko
Basically, if there is something in the background, then calm music without strong beats.
Florian Myter
@ixord But who decides on what the calm music is ?
Florian Myter
@ixord No I meant that putting someone still has to put on the calm music right. Which brings back the question, how do you decide in the team who gets to pick the calm music!
Agnieszka Rybij
I just like what's in the online radio to play in the background 😊 When we are with a team we don't listen to any specific music that would need to be changed and we would have to take parts in putting music on πŸ˜…
Florian Myter
@agnieszka_rybij Yeah we usually have the online radio on here as well, but then we take turns picking the radio station πŸ˜…
Naoto Shibata
When I want to focus on some kind of intelligent work such as programming, I always pick up music without voice, just with sound.
Uma Venugopal
Rap for lifeπŸ™ƒ
Elena Tsemirava
I prefer working in silence.
Florian Myter
@elenat Fair enough, how do you manage colleagues that like to put on music? Do you put on headphones or do they?
George Burmistrov
Something that doesn't intervene with the thinking process and at the same time something rhythmical to set the pace. Underground and old hip-hop or smth like La Femme.
Artyom Sviridov
I just put my headphones on and listen to something that's in line with my current mood.
Florian Myter
@sviridov So mood based, not activity/concentration-level based decision making ?