How do you deal with distractions while working from home?

Gizem Nur Keskin
137 replies
Honestly, the distractions around the house are my biggest nightmare while working from home. Even though I am a remote worker, I try to go out and work in coffee shops, and libraries as much as possible so that I am much more disciplined. What about you?

Replies

Brian Regan
I like being able to go to the office. I don't go in 5 days a week, because some days I do get more work done from home, but having the option is a great way to separate work and personal life.
Gizem Nur Keskin
@brian_regan I really love the office atmosphere but I am a remote worker and my office is in another city. So, I try to go to the coffee shops and libraries to kind of create the atmosphere! Hybrid is the best I believe!
Mateo Caño
@brian_regan agree! having flexibility is the best. Do you rent the office long-term or on a flexible basis?
I go out :) It's impossible to avoid distractions when you have 2 cats and 2 dogs
Mateo Caño
@alara_akcasiz to an office or co-working space?
Dávid Sipos
I tried pomodoro and tried to keep focusing until my 20 minutes finished
Gizem Nur Keskin
@david_sipos I've been trying to implement pomodoro into my work routine with this timer: https://www.usebeforesunset.com/... It seems to help!
Joan Mateo Duarte 🚀
You need to have a private room if not is hard!
Mateo Caño
@joanduarte on your house or rent one? Where did you find one to rent?
Mateo Caño
@joanduarte @rsmills haven't you find any cool spot to rent? there may be several out there
Richard Gao
What type of distractions are you dealing with? Phone notifs and computer notifs can just be blocked, but kids and pets are trickier :) If it's the former, there's certain apps you can download that make it harder to access distracting websites and apps.
Gizem Nur Keskin
@richard_gao2 It's my cats, having my bed beside my desk...
Anoir Houmou
It's very hard to be distracted when you have goals to complete by the end of each day, I'd suggest creating a to do list to keep yourself motivated
Gizem Nur Keskin
@anoirhoumou Thank you for your suggestion, Anoir! Writing my tasks really helps most of the time but some other times it also doesn't do the trick for me :(
Aaron O'Leary
I feel distractions come because of a clouded mind, so I do things that uncloud my mind like walking, cooking, reading etc. When I have a clear mind I can focus, couple that with a Pomodoro timer also.
Gizem Nur Keskin
@aaronoleary I really love reading and walking but these days I seem to cannot find or create time to do what I like. Do you have any suggestions for that?
Ágh Helmut
My most important rules: - turn off notifications while working - only focus on one thing at a time and the goal of the task should be measurable to clearly know when it's done - pomodoro helps me stay focused longer - There is no interaction with people until tasks are done
Hidayt Rahman
I try to utilise my music system :D
Hemant Warier
Working from home can be a blessing and a curse at the same time. On one hand, it offers flexibility and the ability to create a comfortable working environment. On the other hand, it can be a breeding ground for distractions that can affect productivity. Here are some tips that I personally use to deal with distractions while working from home: 1. Create a dedicated workspace: Having a specific area designated for work can help to separate the professional and personal aspects of your life. 2. Set boundaries: Let your friends and family know when you are working and when you are available to interact with them. 3. Eliminate distractions: Identify what distracts you and eliminate it. This can mean closing unnecessary tabs on your computer, turning off your phone, or finding a quieter place to work. 4. Prioritise your tasks: Make a list of what needs to be done and prioritise your tasks for the day. This will help you stay focused and prevent getting sidetracked. 5. Take breaks: It is important to take regular breaks to recharge and refresh your mind. Use this time to step away from your work, stretch, and do something you enjoy. 6. Lastly, my personal favourite : Make use of time management tools and apps like Forest, which helps to keep the track of time and stay away from phone and other distractions. By implementing these tips and finding what works best for you, you can reduce distractions and increase productivity while working from home. Remember to be kind to yourself and don't stress over perfection, because we all have our off days.
Gizem Nur Keskin
@hemantwarier Thank you for taking the time to write everything in detail, Hemant! Will try to implement them into my routine for sure!
R. S. Mills
@hemantwarier Agreed! I read a great book on Time Management recently. Check out, Time Management for Mortals by Oliver Burkeman!
daniel roy
I've been working remotely for around 5 years and the last 2 years is the hardest time because I got married ( I live with my wife & fur boy) and get more homework than before. Here are two ways how I handle - wake up earlier It gives me more time to do some homework - plan everything before each night usually i already plan and prepare everything first, for example if tmr I've a meeting then I will create a notes about the detail of meeting so tmr it help me to work faster From my perspective, it's not possible to clean the distractions but we can create a better framework to make distraction painless.
Gizem Nur Keskin
@daniel_roy93 You get my point! Having someone around and pets is great but sometimes it makes it harder for me to focus on the task at hand! I will try to implement your suggestions into my daily routine, thank you, Daniel!
R. S. Mills
@daniel_roy93 I treat the gym the same way! I have to knock it out early! It sets up my whole day, but finding a private space and making time amidst the chaos is also needed.
Rebecca Tany
I'm also a remote worker, it's very important to have a private working environment, it can help me keep focused. And I also installed a large computer screen to make the working environment more comfortable. Of course, I also love to go out to work in coffee shops.
Gizem Nur Keskin
@rebeccatany I wish I had a separate working environment!
Mateo Caño
@rebeccatany can you get focused working in coffee shops? They were too noisy and uncomfortable the times I tried to work from there. What about renting a small space? too expensive?
Rebecca Tany
@mateo_cano I only work in coffee shops when I want to have a relax, so the noisy is OK for me. Renting a small space is also expensive, I will choose working in my room.
Mateo Caño
@rebeccatany yeap, most of the spaces are too expensive. Do you generally go to the same coffee shop?
Harshavardhan Reddy
I have my private room, but I prefer to work from office.
Mateo Caño
@harsha_vardhan01 does you company provide an office or do you rent one on your own?
Satish Kumar Veluri
Get some private space with lesser distractions and good instrumental music
Murali Gottumukkala
Headphones and locking the room are a great way to keep things focussed
Ashok kumar
headphones with non distracting music (Instrumental music, white noise, or sometimes even switched off) and pomodoro timer.
maryam sh
I work with my 3-year-old daughter and that's the hardest part. I can't escape :D
Moon
Distractions can definitely be a challenge when working from home, especially when you're trying to stay focused and productive. I think it's great that you're making an effort to work outside of your home in order to maintain discipline. Sometimes a change of scenery can make all the difference in terms of motivation and focus. Have you found that working in coffee shops and libraries helps you to be more productive?
Gizem Nur Keskin
@moon10 Yes! Coffee shops and libraries do the job for me but I want to find a way in my home environment that I never need to go out to get some work done!
Moon
@gizemnurkeskin To achieve this, consider the following tips: 1. Choose a quiet and private room or area for your home office. 2. Make sure the space has good lighting and is well-ventilated. 3. Set up a comfortable chair and a desk that is at the right height for you. 4. Keep the space clutter-free and organized. 5. Use noise-cancelling headphones or white noise machine to eliminate background noise 6. Make sure you have the right technology and tools to do your job, such as a computer, printer, and internet access. By following these tips, you can create a space that is conducive to productivity and allows you to stay focused and motivated. I think this will help you a lot! If you have any other questions plz don't hesitate to ask!
Joanne Hurley
I get distracted just as much at the office tbh. I think a dedicated workspace helps. Breaking up the day with exercise or walks. Appreciating that its better than commuting and having to make it work as you have a better life is a big motivator.
Spanith Pusala
I generally put on Headphones and play some music and work. I decide few goals for the day before-hand and only get up from the workstation once each goal is acheived. That works best for me.