How do you deal with burnout as a founder?

Oleksandr Buratynskyi
23 replies
Just this question. Not asking for my friend, it is strictly for me. Will value any personal story that you share πŸ™

Replies

Aziz Iskandar
Keep being delusional I guess, it's sad haha
Oleksandr Buratynskyi
@aziz_iskandar ahah, also an approach) who are we to judge, right?)
Roland Marlow
Just keep working, maybe take a 20 minute nap if necessary. Burnout is thrown around all the time but the reality is, most people aren't even close to burnout. Just think, if a farmer can work 7 days a week, 365 days a year and not stop, how are you getting burnt out?
Oleksandr Buratynskyi
@rmarlow i saw many farmers and can say overworked people unfortunately got the worst health conditions. My grandparents are among them (
Uma Venugopal
Most underrated thing a founder can do for themselves(and their company) is planning days off/ blocking a few hours a day to literally not work and recharge.
Oleksandr Buratynskyi
@uma_venugopal that’s so aligned with my observation πŸ™Œ do you have specific hours or days except weekends for that?
Uma Venugopal
@sasha_buratynskyi i don't have hours off, but I do take a day off in the middle of the week to not work. I look forward to that one day to let my mind run free and supplement the day off by working on weekends.
Jen Anderson
Personally, I develop physical symptoms that force me to take a break. I really don't recommend that method. As far as useful suggestions go, fit something into your day that's just for fun. Maybe a quick mobile gaming break, or some drawing, whatever grabs you.
Oleksandr Buratynskyi
@jen_from_accomplist that’s really counterintuitive but i can agree it works for me. Especially games
Sometimes you need to rest your mind in order to be productive. Working non stop is unhealthy. Find activities that include physical movement away from the screen. Running, fitness, sport etc. Burnout is real and I have seen it.
Oleksandr Buratynskyi
@slimmy82 i have really bad experience with it ( Thank you for sharing πŸ™ what do you do as your favorite activity?
@sasha_buratynskyi I play golf to get some nature time in and enjoy. I also do Krav Maga which is self defense for fitness
Igor Lysenko
When I faced burnout, I increased the interval between using those things that bring me joy and happiness, such as reading in the evening. I started spending more time on myself and the burnout went away on its own.
Oleksandr Buratynskyi
@ixord it is interesting πŸ€” so you mean things that bring joy also should be i small portions?
Igor Lysenko
@sasha_buratynskyi This should not be in large portions, it needs to be controlled so as not to allow yourself to give up completely.
I started following the Pomodoro Technique sometime now and it's helping me. If that doesn't work someday then I take a power nap. Always worked for me.
Oleksandr Buratynskyi
@mehul_fanawala You mean midday sleep with a cup of coffee or other type of power nap?